Snap caps and dry fire...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TheWrights2004, Dec 12, 2008.

1. TheWrights2004

TheWrights2004 New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    I've read various posts about DO NOT DRY FIRE and other such warnings. I understand and heed the advice. I recently went to the range and counted rounds when 2 handing and slow firing. However, when I went into a single hand, rapid fire I was consistently not keeping up on count and would end up dry firing.

I am curious does anyone WHEN AT THE RANGE pack a snap cap as their final round to ensure a safe dry fire end to the clip or is every one just much better at keeping track of their round count?

Thanks for the feedback.

2. Geezer_Glide

Geezer_Glide New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Never thought of that. Good Idea!

3. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    The relatively few times you will dry fire at the range are not enough to worry about.  I never gave it a thought when I used my P3AT.

JMO & YMMV of course.

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    The idea has come up before in several of the other dry fire threads.

I give it about as much thought as rat does.

5. TheWrights2004

Nov 18, 2008
    I agree that I too while at the range did not give it to much thought about the few dry fires that took place...it wasn't until I was back on here and reading more posts and seeing in the owners manual DO NOT DRY FIRE that it got me wondering...how many dry fires does it take to damage the firing pin? if I put approx 1000 rounds through 'er at 6 rounds per clip that's about 167 clips if I dry fired at the end of every clip that'd be 167 dry fires. These would not be in succession of each other and would be over a period of time BUT would that number be a sufficient amount to cause damage? If so, would it be beneficial to me to just pack the snap cap at the bottom of each clip to avoid any possible future failure?

6. CH

CH New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Good idea!

7. P-3aT_ShoTTer

P-3aT_ShoTTer New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    should not be a problem in use, but rather an issue for those who do extended dry fire pratice to get acustomed to the trigger.

I woul dventure to say that you will need 1000+ dry fires to damage the firing pin, and most likely you will break a hammer spring long before a firing pin.

8. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I believe the word you were looking for is "Magazine" :-?

Where's Scott....

;D

9. P-3aT_ShoTTer

P-3aT_ShoTTer New Member

Feb 5, 2008

hunh??

10. TheWrights2004

Nov 18, 2008

hunh??[/quote]
    I think the "magazine" comment was directed at me for the use of the term "clip" instead of "mag"...same thing different term ::)...I will try to watch the vocabulary in future posts ;)