Snap cap jam?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by huckle, Nov 7, 2010.

1. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    We have 2 P3ATs. One of 'em cycles snapcaps just fine. The other one will sometimes 'jam' - can't rack the slide - gets stuck.

Any suggestions?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    be sure the recoil springs are not interleafed. this prevents the slide from going all the way back by hand

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    If you are using the cheapo plastic dummy rounds, they may already be deformed and/or worn. Get some A-Zoom snap caps. They are about the best quality out there.

http://www.azoomsnapcaps.com/

4. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    That's what we have. A-Zoom Aluminum caps.

5. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Take a Magic-Marker or Dry-Erase marker and color the Snap-Cap.

Now chamber it and try to eject it.

When you get it out, look for where the marker rubbed off.

That right there is where it is getting stuck in the chamber.

Use a fine cut file and take off just a frog-hair where the bright spot was, then color it and try again.

Eventually you will have taken it down enough to where it won't stick in the chamber any longer.

rc

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    To be clear, note that rc is talking about filing down the snapcap, NOT the chamber of the pistol. ;)

7. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    To be clear, note that rc is talking about filing down the snapcap, NOT the chamber of the pistol.  ;)
    [/quote]

Thank you very much for the clarification! :) I'm new enough to fire-arms that I likely woulda filed down 'something' on the gun!

8. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I read what rc wrote and his meaning was clear to me. I also know that written communication sometimes can be interpreted more than one way, so I wasn't taking any chances. Essentially, he is saying that your snapcap may be out of round and offering a way to correct it. ;)

9. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Mine cycles snap caps like a dream. I have had no issues out of either of my mags.