Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 P3ATs. One of 'em cycles snapcaps just fine. The other one will sometimes 'jam' - can't rack the slide - gets stuck.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
be sure the recoil springs are not interleafed. this prevents the slide from going all the way back by hand

·
Administrator
32,086 Posts
If you are using the cheapo plastic dummy rounds, they may already be deformed and/or worn. Get some A-Zoom snap caps. They are about the best quality out there.

For safety training, function testing or safely decocking without damaging the firing pin, A-Zoom training rounds are much more than conventional snap-caps. They are precision CNC machined from solid aluminum to precise cartridge dimensions, then hard anodized for ultra-smooth functioning and long life.

In addition, each round has A-Zoom's remarkably durable "Dead Cap" proven to withstand over three thousand dry fires while protecting the firing pin. A-Zoom Snap Caps last over 30 times longer than conventional plastic examples and are available in over 120 sizes from .22 Hornet to the .50BMG.
http://www.azoomsnapcaps.com/

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TxCajun said:
If you are using the cheapo plastic dummy rounds, they may already be deformed and/or worn.  Get some A-Zoom snap caps.  They are about the best quality out there.
That's what we have. A-Zoom Aluminum caps.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Take a Magic-Marker or Dry-Erase marker and color the Snap-Cap.

Now chamber it and try to eject it.

When you get it out, look for where the marker rubbed off.

That right there is where it is getting stuck in the chamber.

Use a fine cut file and take off just a frog-hair where the bright spot was, then color it and try again.

Eventually you will have taken it down enough to where it won't stick in the chamber any longer.

rc

·
Administrator
32,086 Posts
rcmodel said:
That right there is where it is getting stuck in the chamber.

Use a fine cut file and take off just a frog-hair where the bright spot was, then color it and try again.
To be clear, note that rc is talking about filing down the snapcap, NOT the chamber of the pistol. ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TxCajun said:
[quote author=rcmodel link=1289149879/0#4 date=1289406969]That right there is where it is getting stuck in the chamber.

To be clear, note that rc is talking about filing down the snapcap, NOT the chamber of the pistol.  ;)
[/quote]

Thank you very much for the clarification! :) I'm new enough to fire-arms that I likely woulda filed down 'something' on the gun!

·
Administrator
32,086 Posts
I read what rc wrote and his meaning was clear to me. I also know that written communication sometimes can be interpreted more than one way, so I wasn't taking any chances. Essentially, he is saying that your snapcap may be out of round and offering a way to correct it. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts