Smileys??

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Curt32, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Hi say what are these "Smileys" I keep hearing about I have a second gen P3AT is this some kind of deformation of the bullet? I did a search but there was really no explanation that I could find explaining exactly what it is I also saw something about the feed ramp "peening" after only 90 rounds could someone please explain, seems like something I should be aware of thanks!

Tom j

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Tom - I don't mean to be rude and do want to help but am very tired - too tired to retype what has been answered a bunch of times.  Do a search for this photo and you'll find LOTS of information on this.

www.attorneyadams.com/photos/guns/smiley.jpg:
    [​IMG]

-Scott

3. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    No problem I saw the pictures but I still don't understand what I'm looking at is this a deformed bullet and if so what causes it I did a search but like I said I couldn't find an adequate explanation of what caused this, feed ramp?? gen 1 gen2 get the point. thanks

tom j

4. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007

Okkk now I understand I did a search for out to a year and didn't see this. Thanks! I got it now.

tom j

5. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Say I have a 2nd gen P3AT so maybe this won't be a problem for me but I guess the way you would check would be to check the next round after each time you discharge a round and taking a quick peak seeing that it's caused by the "next round in the mag hitting the bottom of the feed ramp" is this correct would be curious just to see if my second gen has this affliction, if so seems like there's a easy fix. Thanks!!

tom j

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yes, fire a round - then look at the round that just loaded into the chamber. Smilies were more of a 1st gen issue but they do occur in some 2nd gen pistols to a lesser degree. OAL on the round can be a factor. Unless they are severe enough to cause significant bullet set-back, I wouldn't worry.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/smiley.htm

7. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Happy bullets! :D

8. wolfsburg_de

wolfsburg_de New Member

Apr 24, 2007
    FWIW, my 2nd gen (J9Nxx) makes smileys. I have five snap caps that I randomly insert in magazines full of live rounds to test my flinch skills ;). Each of them has multiple smilies on the nose.

9. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks Tx you da man! ;D

tom j

10. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    my 2nd gen made in Nov 07 had it pretty bad. Curved feed ramp and all. The new Rugers apparently have it.
    Something you probably have to live with.

11. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Really the Ruger too!!! thought they were going to improve the overall design, say why is that some 2 gen have this and others don't the guns are the same.

tom j

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The LCP3AT is a very compact weapon. The presence or absence of smilies is likely more a factor of the OAL of the round and not due to variances in particular guns.