Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi say what are these "Smileys" I keep hearing about I have a second gen P3AT is this some kind of deformation of the bullet? I did a search but there was really no explanation that I could find explaining exactly what it is I also saw something about the feed ramp "peening" after only 90 rounds could someone please explain, seems like something I should be aware of thanks!

Tom j

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem I saw the pictures but I still don't understand what I'm looking at is this a deformed bullet and if so what causes it I did a search but like I said I couldn't find an adequate explanation of what caused this, feed ramp?? gen 1 gen2 get the point. thanks

tom j

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Say I have a 2nd gen P3AT so maybe this won't be a problem for me but I guess the way you would check would be to check the next round after each time you discharge a round and taking a quick peak seeing that it's caused by the "next round in the mag hitting the bottom of the feed ramp" is this correct would be curious just to see if my second gen has this affliction, if so seems like there's a easy fix. Thanks!!

tom j

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Yes, fire a round - then look at the round that just loaded into the chamber. Smilies were more of a 1st gen issue but they do occur in some 2nd gen pistols to a lesser degree. OAL on the round can be a factor. Unless they are severe enough to cause significant bullet set-back, I wouldn't worry.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/smiley.htm

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TxCajun said:
Yes, fire a round - then look at the round that just loaded into the chamber.  Smilies were more of a 1st gen issue but they do occur in some 2nd gen pistols to a lesser degree.  OAL on the round can be a factor.  Unless they are severe enough to cause significant bullet set-back, I wouldn't worry.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/smiley.htm
Thanks Tx you da man! ;D

tom j

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gatorhugger said:
my 2nd gen made in Nov 07 had it pretty bad. Curved feed ramp and all. The new Rugers apparently have it.
Something you probably have to live with.
Really the Ruger too!!! thought they were going to improve the overall design, say why is that some 2 gen have this and others don't the guns are the same.

tom j

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Curt32 said:
Really the Ruger too!!! thought they were going to improve the overall design, say why is that some 2 gen have this and others don't the guns are the same.
The LCP3AT is a very compact weapon. The presence or absence of smilies is likely more a factor of the OAL of the round and not due to variances in particular guns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.