Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
;D

I wrote about my explosion yesterday in my brand new p3at but I never mentioned the smiley's I was noticing after the mishap.

How do they happen and what is the effect of shooting a bullet with a smiley in it?

Thanks

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Assuming you have a 2nd gen gun, I wouldn't give it another thought. The earlier guns were more severe. Ample "research' around here has concluded that P3AT smiles are pretty much a non-issue. The bullets still perform well and there is no history of a resulting problem. I have heard of a few other guns that produce them as well although I can't recall what they are. As a precaution, I would not cycle the same rounds over and over as that could concievably lead to an over-pressured round from bullet setback. In other words, do not take the top (smilied) round out of a mag and put it further down in the mag where it will get "smilied" again. I probably would not hand cycle rounds over and over either. If your mag followers get beat up, call KT service for new ones. Other than that, not a big deal.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My 2nd Gen HZE made smilies that looked like the bad ones in the link so I did a ramp job right away .. the marks are still made but very faint.

One of the gun forums tested smilie ammo and suggested there is little if any difference.

I didn't like gun internals wacking each other that hard unnecessarily....over time I suspect it would cause damage to something.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
It is possible the Smiley problem caused your Kaboom with the reloads.

If they didn't have sufficient neck tension on the bullets, it may have driven a bullet back in the case and increased chamber pressure to the point an old weak case let go.

rcmodel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.