Smileys & Light Strikes

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by foothills, Jul 30, 2009.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Have two P3ATs.  Bought second one while first was on an 8 week rehab at the factory due to frequent light strikes and damaged bullets, (smileys?) right out of the box.  Ammo tried was Aguilla and Atlanta Arms  http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1248266253  

Second one performed great right out of the box eating 50 rounds of my reloads (mixed brass, 100 Gr. Berry's copper plated, CCI primers, 3.1 Green Dot) without the slightest hiccup. (both are 2nd Gen btw)

Got the first one back from the factory and it worked fine with Hornady CD, and same reloads.

Next time out #2 started having light strikes.  Made sure I was holding gun firmly and completely releasing trigger between shots.  Seems like 2nd or third rd most common, but not consistent.  Also seemed more likely with a slower trigger pull.  This time I am using my same reloads but with a different primer -- ran out of the CCIs and now have gold PMC primers with the little "E" stamp.  The strikes on the cases that did fire seem quite significant and the strikes on the rounds that didn't fire seem deeper than the almost non-existent hits I had with the first gun when I sent it back.

I took the firing pin out and smoothed it with a honing stone; lightly chamfered the firing pin opening and thoroughly cleaned the firing pin spring and channel then relubed with light oil.

I started thinking hard primers, but I thought CCI were the ones with the "hard primer" reputation and it ate those fine before.  I got out #1 and it also had some light strikes with the PMC primed reloads, but not as many.  Then tried a few of my earlier CCI reloads I had left and some Atlanta Arms reloads in both guns with no light strikes, but still smiles on the bullets.  #2 seems to really mash the bullets bad.  

My guess is I'm having a combination of problems with the smileys and maybe hard primers?  I thought I had seen a posting before of how to do a, 'rampectomy" but now can't find it.  I also seem to remember reading that the ramp mod may void the warranty?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Celtic_Warrior

Celtic_Warrior New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    I have had the same kind of issues http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1247781170/5#5 .

I'm thinking the smiley is pushing the bullet back in the case and causing the case to move just that little bit deeper into the breach and the firing pin is just hitting the cap. I also noticed that the spent casings were a little bent up, at the top. So the brass may be a little on the thin side, also letting it go deeper in the breach. Same rnds as you 3rd or 4th.

I have completed a little more rampectomy but haven't been back to the range yet, hang in there. There is a brand of ammo or a reload setup out there that will work a very high percentage of the time, i have had zero problems with Americam Eagle about 850 rnds to date.

3. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    If with the slide off, the firing pin moves in and out smoothly when pushed... although not very common, it may be a weak hammer spring.

Bobo

4. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    UPDATE:

Did a Rampectomy on #1 and it solved the light strikes completely on that one.  Seems the combination of shortened rounds from smashing into the feed ramp when previous round fires ("smiley"), harder primers, and the low mass of the hammer were causing the problem.  Now going to mod the ramp on #2.  Great design, but Keltec seems to have just a little more refinement left to do.

5. Celtic_Warrior

Celtic_Warrior New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Great, glad that worked out for you. The only thing left is for ammo to free up and put 200 rnds through your weapons for a good break in.