SMILEY PROBLEM FIXED?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CCWMan, Jan 23, 2008.

1. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    I just read on the P11 forum about the early P3s having a problem with causing "smileys", meaning the feed ramp hitting the next round in the mag. :-/

Does anyone know if the 2cnd generation fixed this? Has anyone had a problem with this recently?

THANKS!

2. glenspalding

glenspalding New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Most don't have a problem but a fluff and buff will help if it occurs. ::)

A search will bring up tinsof info on the FB.

3. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    I got a 2nd Gen P3 and I have had the occasional smiley, but nothing a dremel can't fix! I bought my Dremel just for my P3! :-/

4. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Smileys were more prevalent and more drastic in FG P3-ATs that had a straight cut to the bottom of the feed ramp. What was formerly called a “rampectomy” was P3-AT owners filing the ramp into a curved shape to help reduce or eliminate the smilies.

From the factory the SG barrels have a curved bottom on the feed ramp. This reduces or eliminates smilies on most SG P3-ATs. Even so, my SG gun produced fairly deep smilies. I filed a slightly deeper curve in the ramp, a bit at a time until the smilies were eliminated most of the time. I still get them occasionally.

One other thing that may help is tilting the magazine back a bit away from the feed ramp. This has been done successfully by KTOG forum member and moderator JFB by adding a thin, self-adhesive neoprene spacer to the frame just under the feed ramp and also to the bottom, rear of the mag well. I intend to try this next.

Smilies won’t affect the function of the gun, but can cause bullet set-back (the bullet gets pushed back, deeper into the casing, possibly causing higher pressure when fired) and some smiley tests have shown that hollow point bullet expansion can be adversely affected. http://usrange.org/smf/index.php?topic=1662.0

Bobo