Smiley face

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by snaredog, Jun 8, 2008.

1. snaredog

snaredog New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    I have a friend that is looking into purchasing a new P3AT and he asked me what is a smiley face. I explained it to him but would like to show him some picture so he understands it completely. Does some one have any pictures that they could post so I can send them to him or tell me where to look. Not coming up with anything under Search on smiley face. Thanks for your help.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    when you use the search engine

limit search to just P3AT forum
    expand search to ALL Post

here is a link from the FAQ&VIP section
    http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/smiley.htm

and here is a recent discussion
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206071460/6#6

[​IMG]

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  4. thehopehouse

thehopehouse New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Hello all, I am the guy snaredog was refering to. I see the problem. Does that happen on the hallow point ammo as well?

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG, go ahead and get you one ;)

and yea, it might happen with hps also. I added a neoprine shim to my frame (for reason other than smiley) but it should help eliminate. Others have remove a little metal from the ramp

6. thehopehouse

thehopehouse New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    THanks JFB

Could that cause the cartridge to fire putting that puch pressure on the cartride? If the bullet is pressd further back into casing that is not cool.

I am new to hand guns but have been shooting long guns most of my life. So much to learn.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    NO---

compressing the powder charge will not cause a detenation.

I don't want to make much of the smiley that has been reported. They will cause no problem.

BUT if you drive the bullet into the case and compress the charge a significant amount, it could make the detonation pressure peak quicker and possibly higher and cause case over expansion (either difficult extraction or case rupture)

8. snaredog

snaredog New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Welcome: thehopehouse. Now you can really find some information out on the P3AT. It is still my 80% carry gun to this day. I do have to carry once an while my Bersa thunder & my M&P 40 compact so I don't forgett what they look like. I wondered how long it would take you to see the light and start getting on here. Talk to you later.

9. thehopehouse

thehopehouse New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Oh I have been sitting back and taking it all in for a while. I just figured I should get serious and join in the fun.

10. snaredog

snaredog New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Thank you to everyonre that came back to this post to help answer my question for "thehopehouse" . Very nice guy. I have a feeling that when he makes that purchase we all will know about it that day. I have been sending every thing I have to him on infornation about the P3AT. He has been doing his home work very good before purchasing one. I have been slamming him. We have been talking heavy for about 2 weeks now and he has the bug really BAD.

11. Warty

Warty Banned

Dec 11, 2007
    TH, IN
    I must admit, I didn't really understand the joke until now.  :)

I haven't had this happen with my 2nd Gen P3AT at all, several hundred rounds later, mostly Gold Dots.
    Gold Dots are a JHP, in case you were not aware, and they have seemed to feed well in my gun, YMMV.

I think that this makes a fine back-up gun to my Ruger or H&K .45.  
    It is always in my front pocket, 45 on my belt.

When the .45 is simply not appropriate though, I rely solely on my P3AT.  
    It is a weapon that has earned my respect and I trust it with my life.

Put another way for you, if you don't like it at all they re-sell very easy and retain their value.
    That means you should at least buy the gun, see if you like it and if not, sell it and try something else.
    You won't have lost a thing and you will have learned a new gun.  Win-win situation if you ask me.  ;)