Smartcarry for P3 wt AramaLaser + Glock 26?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BillK, Jan 17, 2009.

1. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi Folks,

Is there a Smartcarry option that would work so that it can be used to both carry a P3AT, with an ArmaLaser attached, and also a Glock 26 (I don't mean at the same time)? Which one/size? If I can't order such a Smartcarry how do I order one just for the P3AT with ArmaLaser?

Also, have you ever tried carrying your P3AT in its pocket holster in the Smartcarry? Reason I ask is because I think I might have occasions where I'd like to quickly and discreetly switch between pocket carry and Smartcarry.

Thanks...

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Yup. Small. I know this guy and could maybe possibly round pictures up of each of these tomorrow if you really wanted.

-Scott

3. I just checked my Smart Carry size- It is a small.   My smartcarry holds my G27 (same size as your G26 but is a .40 cal Glock) on a daily basis.

I wear the smart carry around the house before the shower and getting dressed, when I transfer my G27 to a wonderful K&D IWB that I could post a pic of if you would like to see it!  ;)

At times when I need ULTMATE concealment with a tucked in shirt, I will wear the smart carry with my 3AT and an extra mag.  My 3AT does not have an armalaser, but it does have a Crimson Trace Laser.

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Thanks guys!

Yep, I'd like to see some pics so long as they're not "X" rated.  :)

P3AT pocket carry is near perfect for me. Appendix carry with my Glock is no problem this time of the year what with sweaters and sweatshirts used as cover garment. However, there is one particular place I'd like to carry and feel even more comfortable about not being made. So looks like I'll give the Smartcarry (size small) a try.

Oh, anyother thing I need to consider when ordering? I just tried to get to the Smartcarry site but it appears to be down right now; I seem to remember the ordering form having a lot of check boxes for different material or some other options. I know to order according to my waist and/or hip measurements.

Thanks again...

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I think the easiest way to get exactly what you want is to call Charley at SmartCarry (1-888-459-2358). Tell him what guns you want use in your holster, etc. and ask for recommendations. You could also place the order over the phone at the same time if you wish. Charley is a great guy to talk to.

This is a small security model that I use 24/7/365. You could probably carry the Glock in one side and the P-3AT as a New York reload in the other side.

[​IMG]

Bobo

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Bobo,

What you picture looks like it'd be perfect for the P3AT with ArmaLaser attached. For the Glock 26 it just doesn't look deep enough. I think the standard model (if that is what it is called) is what I need.

Take care...

7. steve24

steve24 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Here's a pic of my G26 in my small Smartcarry with my P3AT on top.  [​IMG]

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Sorry for the delay.  I got side tracked and then had to go find this guy I know that owns a few weapons.

This is a smartcarry in size small.  NOT the laser model which would have a more square bottom.  This is what it looks like after being worn daily from 5am to 11pm for about a year.

Note that if you were ordering for just the P3AT you would want an extra small as it sits a bit too low (without using a safety pin to hold it up a bit).  If you wanted the smartcarry for just a P3AT with laser you would order an xsl.  With the Armalaser equipped P3AT the small looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And with the Glock 26 (a 27 actually but the same thing) like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Scott

9. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Now that's a well worn SmartCarry, Scott. Charlie would be very proud of your friend. I wonder if he might even exchange a new holster for a picture and testimonial?

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    To me there are two kinds of holsters, those that get used and those that sit in a drawer. We ALL have the drawer full! The wear is a testament to me of the sign of a good holster. This same guy has a couple of K&D IWB holsters that, by design don't wear like that, but don't sit in a drawer for days on end either. ::)

If you are ever worried about wear, I am not based on "my friend's" smartcarry (it frays as you can see but it still solid and far from falling apart,) Charlie suggests an extra layer of fabric sewn/ironed on over the bottom flap and said some people even use duct tape although that would be slightly uncomfy I would think.

-Scott

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Thanks all. A reply from Charlie concerning my order is pasted below. If the SC works out for my P3AT then at some later date I'll give one dedicated to my glock a try. Does a Glock 26, which many folks feel is on the thick side, work well with the SmartCarry?

"Bill,

We've received your order and the extra small custom laser width size right hand draw SmartCarry® for your Kel-Tec  P3AT w/ a 2.7" barrel w/ attached Armalaser (a Glock 26 w/ a 3.46" barrel requires our small size holster and a P3AT would seat too deep in a small size holster) will ship this week via first class mail.  Your cc will be charged $57.95 + $6.00 S&H = $63.95.  Thank you for your order!

Regards,

Charlie

The SmartCarry® Invisible Holster for the very
    best in concealed carry comfort, safety and
    the deepest concealment available! Visit our
      website @ http://www.smartcarry.com"

Take care and thanks again...

12. bluesman

bluesman New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Re: Smartcarry for P3AT P11, glock or J-frame

I have a few comments on smart carry from first hand experience. I bought a size small (pouch) to try to carry my Glock 26, S&W J frame airweight, seecamp .32 and and Keltec P-11 and P3AT. First let me say I am 5'10 and 150 lbs (skinny). While the size small pouch was the correct one for the 3 larger guns I wanted to carry, I thought if I wanted to carry the smaller mouse guns I would use a safety pin or something.

The Glock 26, J frame, and P11 are basically each some of the smallest guns in their class and I have to tell you that the butt of each one of these guns stuck out of my pants in a wired unnatural looking way. It is not to say that a person with more body to go around might be able to absorb this look. In jeans it was the worst, but in chinos with pleated fronts not as bad, but the Glock 26 was huge in this holster to me.I also found that while secure the small .25 and .380 guns were swallowed up a bit by the size small, although the P3AT fit OK.

I decided that trying to carry those "small" 9mm and 38's is just not possible for me in this holster so I have since sent back the holster to Charlie withing the 30 day warrentee period and he sent me a new XS sized one free of charge and even no shipping! The XS has a really small pouch and is perfect for the seecamp .32. It works well with the P3AT and covers the trigger but not the trigger guard completely. It is a great size for pocket .25's and the like but the P3AT is the max I think it will hold.Keep in mind this thing points the guns almost directly at your privatre parts so carrying cocked and locked or with one in teh chamber like the 3at may not be for everyone!!

Why use a smart carry with my puny pocket pistols? Well in levis jeans I have no problem with small pocket pistols because they are retained well in the pocket by the pant legs fitting tightly, but in dress slacks or chinos the bigger pockets cause the guns to flap around when walking and sometimes shift, and they can get to the point of almost falling out of my pocket when I cross my legs really high some times when sitting, so I chose to use the smart carry for office dress when I want to not feel the gun flapping around in my pocket. It sits secure and accessible. Well that's my smart carry story...

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Re: Smartcarry for P3AT P11, glock or J-frame

Body style is going to be different but after spending some time on Charlie's site and talking with him I'll comment on this. You are wearing it too high if it is pointing at the boss and boys. Your pistol should be over them like a cup, low enough that if it were to fire it would be below them. That is how Charlie recommends it and I found it MUCH more comfortable after doing that.

I somewhat agree on the G26/27. It works but its not great. (I am 5' 9" and 220lbs with a 38-40 waist.) The P40 or the Pf9 are MUCH more comfortable and the P3AT I don't even know is there.

-Scott

14. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I'm back! I've now got over two months of wearing the SC under my belt (pun intended :)). I wear it just about every weekday and it (extra small) has worked out great for me carrying my P3AT with ArmaLaser attached. The darker, the looser, the thicker the pants the better the gun hides. I've gotten pretty good at switching the gun between SC and pocket holster as the situation during the day allows. I still much prefer pocket carry but the SC has allowed me to carry my gun where I hadn't regularly before and when I did felt uncomfortable doing so.

I feel I could highly recommend the SC for a gun like the P3AT where deep cover is desirable. I don't think however that I'd be comfortable carrying anything much thicker or much taller (I do have a Bersa mag extension on my P3AT) in a Smart Carry. Just don't think a SC would work out for my Glock 26.  :'(

Take care...

15. bluesman

bluesman New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    I agree Scott, I try to wear it as low as possible, but if it is too low then when I sit down the bottom of it hits the crotch of my pants just below the zipper and binds. That is with the extra small, it was worse with the small. Do you wear yours centered or shifted to the right slightly??

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Bill - glad it is working out for you and I agree with your description of pocket/smart carry choices. smartcarry is not a perfect answer but there are times when it is the only possible answer.

I actually shift my slightly left (which I know is funny because there is more material to that side but that is what works for me) but I think everybody "dresses" slightly different.

-Scott