Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Small Spring trying to escape!

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  kt4me 
#1 ·
I've been lurking for a while and have appreciated the posts here...so I thought I would ask a question.

I did a short search and did not find and posts about this...so apologies if it's been posted before.

I have a P3AT that I have put about 75-100 rounds through...purchased used.

Today the small slide return spring is coming out the front. I am noticing that the hole for the return spring pin is getting a lot larger than it should need to be.

I know this isn't normal but, what can I do to fix it? Is there a known problem whith these firearm?

Thanks for responding!

#2 ·
Welcome to KTOG.  What you are discribing was a problem with a few slides a year or so back.

at the top of the P3AT section should be three sticky posts, one of them is "FAQ and VIPs".  In this post is a link to a post related to this problem.

to save you the time looking for now here are a couple related post
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1220659627/0#0

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1203479576/0#0 (pictures)

after you have a chance to read, I'll be glad to discuss any questions.

one of your options is send it back to KT

#6 ·
Did they respond to your email?  That is not their strong suit.  I'd call, however, a word of caution.  Officially the lifetime warranty only applies to the original owner (don't ask - don't tell applies).  What you really need is a new slide, but if it is not too far gone, someone around the site will sell you a few "JFB Washers" that will keep the recoil springs in place.

#10 ·
I was e-mailed at 7:31am CDT today with the following...I'm very impressed.

Per the warranty page of your manual.
Please enclose a note describing the problem, your name, address, phone no. & email address, and ship it UPS or FEDEX to:
KEL-TEC CNC INC
SERVICE DEPT
1475 COX RD
COCOA, FL 32926
there is an 8 week turnaround

I was thinking of just sending in the slide...but I will ask the experts....

#12 ·
I would call them on the phone. I called them a short while back for the new hammer block mine needed. The gal I was talking to, asked me if I was having just the same problem as yours. I told her no and got the parts I needed in a couple of days. Sounded like she was ready to take care of the problem ASAP to me.

Mine is a HKXXX

#13 ·
Thanks for the info...I was going to send the springs, pin and slide with barrel as the pin has taken a little bit of damage and the spring (once it was escaping) bent a little...not too concerned if they dont replace them...just thought they would like to see them.

I'll send it FedEx so I know they get it...anal that way, and it was a $300 gun, so whats $17.50 for 2 day shipment?

#14 ·
If they didn't tell you not to send the whole gun you may want to consider it. I sent my V1 3AT to them a while back for what I was certain that I had diagnosed as a small parts problem, but in thier analysis it appears there was a frame issue involved and Kel-Tec wound up sending me a whole new Version 2 gun manufactured just for me with the orginal serial number of the V1. Had I decided I was smarter than them and just sent the part I assumed were bad, I would still have a bad gun.

I now leave the thinking to the experts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.