Small Guy Carry Help

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by younggun21, Dec 19, 2007.

1. younggun21

younggun21 New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    I am not yet old enough to purchase a hand gun, but am old enough to carry one in my home state (IN). I have grown up with a fair amount of exposure to various firearms and feel confident in my abilities to handle one. I will soon hit the ripe old age of 21 and be able to purchase my own firearm for CC. I have been researching for a long time and have narrowed things down between the Kel-Tec 3AT and the NAA guardian .32.

My main question is about carry styles and placement. I am only 5'8 (5'9 on a good day) and weigh in at a whopping 145lbs with an athletic build so concealing anything on me can be difficult. I am looking for feedback from other small guys who have tips about CC holsters and styles.

P.S. and feedback or opinions on 3at vs guardian would not go unappreciated!

Thanks
    YoungGun

2. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    young gun, one of the most common carry methods for the little P3 is pocket carry. i'm not real fond of it myself, but there are many here who do. if you were to do a search of the forum, you'd find it discussed a number of other times. otherwise there will be others along to chime in. i did buy a pocket holster, and for the life of me i can't remember which one it is. don hume, maybe. i've carried it with this one a total of once. any good quality holster that you like and feel comfortable with that COVERS the trigger/trigger guard should work well for you.

not too familiar with NAAs, but the P3 is a fantastic little gun! quite a lot of bang in a very small package for an extremely reasonable price. just did a quick search, and the NAA weighs in excess of twice that of a P3, in a smaller caliber. the KTs are very reliable little pistols although they are not fun to shoot for an extended range session. IMHO - a guy can't go wrong with a P3!

spence

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The P3AT is just a tad larger than most wallets on payday. kakies with slit type front pockets works for me. try placing a wallet in the front pant pocket and see if you can get at least thumb and couple fingers around it, you can have a P3AT.

As far as the other makes, the P3AT is the lightest and seems to be the simplest.

4. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Younggun21 I'm also not a large person. I'm 5'6" at 155lbs, athletic build. I can't put anything in my front pockets without it printing, and as a rule I don't use them anyway as it stretches them out. I have found the best method for me is with a belt clip attached to the gun and the gun tucked in the front of my pants, for most forms of dress. Occasionally I carry with a Don Hume JIT slide holster when I am wearing something a bit heavier. Also I too originally decided I would want the P3AT, but I am not sad that I ended up with the P32 instead. I would recommend trying both before making the final decision. There is a 10 round extended mag available for the P32 that gives you a full proper grip on the gun, but Kel-Tec for some reason does not make a similar mag for the P3AT.

5. EchoKilo

EchoKilo New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Hey, you sound like the exact same build as me.... ten years ago.   :eek:  My first CC was a Makarov in a strong side high ride holster.  I also tried the Makarov in a horizontal shoulder rig, but being so skinny the muzzle would print out the back of my armpit.  Then I discovered the P-11 and also wore that on the strong side with a high ride holster.  I concealed them with vests, but this doesn't work with most people as they have this wierd aversion to looking uncool.

Then, I discovered the P3AT and the wonders of pocket carry.  I LOOOOVE pocket carry.  As for printing, well, I have been pocket carrying for several years and the few buddies that I let in on this fact have always been amazed when I pull out the Kel-Tec, and say things like "Wow, I had no idea you were carrying".  The fact is, guys do not look at other guys crotch area.  And if the occasional passing glance does happen, it really just looks like you have "stuff" in your pocket.  The only way it looks like a gun outline is if you already know it's a gun.  So, anyway, you at least have to give pocket carry a try.  I would reccomend the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster to start with.  Good quality for not too much money.  I've tried a cheaper nylon pocket holster and wasn't impressed.

6. younggun21

younggun21 New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Thanks for the advice, like i said before this is all research for me at this point i wish i could give some of these ideas a try and give you some feedback on how they are working for me, but being a college student on a tight budget i want to know exactly what im getting into and what i want and how much it costs, i appreciate the quick posts and advice you guys are great.

thanks

7. GMax

GMax New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    I carry rear pocket in Grandfather Oak or Desantis Nemesis, almost forget it's there, easy and quick access and not even the wife knows I'm carrying.

8. younggun21

younggun21 New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    going to somewhat hyjack my own thread here... is there anywhere (other than non cc states) that any of you don't carry?

9. Youngblood

Youngblood Member

Aug 6, 2007
    The following rig fits snugly in the rear pocket of my 501 jeans ...

[​IMG]

10. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    The only places I do not carry are places where people are actively disarmed. That means someone has to be there with a metal detector scanning people for weapons. Otherwise I carry, regardless of the location or the presence of any "gun-free zone" signs.

11. mkusanagi

mkusanagi New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Hey Youngblood, what size is that one?

I am currently carrying my p3at in the front pocket (jeans) using an Uncle Mike's Size 3 pocket holster (cost = $13.00) -  the size 2 would be ideal, but the 3 is large enough to hold the p3at with an Arma-Laser mounted, and if you fold the end of the UM 3 over 3/4" and staple it, you get a nice amount of grips sticking out for a secure drawing grip on it from the pocket.

Oops! Forgot to add that I'm 5'-3" 110lbs and my "customized" UM-3 does a nice job of not printing.

Love the P3AT and the ArmaLaser!!!

12. EchoKilo

EchoKilo New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Without getting into the specifics of where I do or do not carry, I just say this:  while I always try to follow the law as best I can, I believe that I not only have the right, but also the duty to protect myself and my family.  So you can read into that what you will.   ;)

The nice thing about such a concealable gun is that the only way anyone will ever know is if you actually have to use it to defend your life.  What trouble you get in then is still better than being dead.

13. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Does your wife not know you have guns, or is she anti-gun?

I have drilled with my wife that if we ever get into an Oh Shlt situation, she knows what to do. You don't want your wife getting into the line of fire. She should know to retreat to your rear, to one side or the other.

=============

I think the Nemesis and pocket carry is a wonderful way to carry the P3. When that is my choice, it goes into my left front pocket.

When you carry, you are always more aware of any minor printing than anybody else; it's a natural paranoia of sorts. Just remember, guns are big black ugly things, and you couldn't possibly have one in your front pocket, right?

--Plex

14. jerry

jerry New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    wear looser fitting clothing.i just put mine in my pocket but my p11 i use a celt clip. my p3at has a belt clip but it,s just as comfortable in my pocket.but im old and built like jabba the hut.im so ugly no one looks at me unless i pay them anyway. ;D ;D ;D