Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have field striped it many times before with no trouble but just now the dang slide will not move forward. Hammer is in right place, mag is removed. Looking down into grip where mag slides in it seems that maybe the ejector might be hitting the side. If so what can I do and if not ejector binding up , what could it be? I don`t think it is recoil springs binding up. please help somebody.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
need a bigger hammer (some type of soften blow)

OR,

pull slide back and let it go a couple times, over something cushioned and contained so you can catch rod, spring slide, ejector when it does come off

The head of the recoil rod can dig a hole in the frame and lock it together

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mean just pull slide back and let it rip? What about the ejector somehow binding up against side somehow and causing the slide to lock up or not want to move forward? You may be right about the recoil guide but looking through the small space between the slide and the frame it does not look like the springs are messed up or anything. Thanks guys, from flounder who does not deal with problems too well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Take the gun and turn it upside down. Now smack it down against your other hand to try and move the recoil rod towards the barrel and away from the frame. You want to smack it against the top of the slide, only have the top of the slide towards the bottom. Or try it against something hard but soft enough to not damage the slide. My slide was hard to get off one time and that did it for me. Although I did not have to hit it that hard and the groove in the frame is not that bad. Just enough to hang it up.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
flounder22 said:
You mean just pull slide back and let it rip? ...
It might take several trys.  

The head of the recoil rod, that you slip into the barrel lug when you assemble... fits into the notch in the frame just in front of the trigger.. when you install the assembly pin the guide head seperates from the barrel lug and presses into the frame slot...

during recoil the end of the recoil rod is lifted slightly due to the guide hole in the slide being close to the barrel.  this lift, then lower makes the recoil rod head dig into the frame

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Nu Agin, I looked at links but I have never removed any metal anywhere on gun. I hate to have to just pull slide back and let her fly but may have to. What about ejector binding against side, what to if that is the case?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Inothome, you are the man! Did just as you said and ploblem solved. Did I do something to cause this problem and if so how can i keep it from happing again? Thank you all who replied and came to my rescue, ya`ll a great bunch of guys!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Glad that worked for you.
When the slide recoils the barrel hits the button on the recoil rod and drives it in the the softer aluminum frame. Does the button on the recoil rod have a flat spot or flat spots on it? Mine does, I think someone said you can file the front of the barrel to eliminate the hitting. I have not done that yet, I just put the flat spot to the top, towards the barrel when I reassemble the gun.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, flat spot is there. Is this going to keep happening? I would not know where to begin on filing down front of barrel... Whatabout the notch inside of frame were head of recoil rod sits, mine is a little skinned up now and if we keep turing flat spot to the top will we not soon be flat all the way around? I hate when stuff like this happens!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
By "up" I meant towards the barrel when you assemble it, so I guess down while the slide is upside down. That would be "up" when the gun is upright. That way if it does hit it will hit in the same spot, as long as it does not rotate when fired.
I am sure someone here can fill you in on where to file the barrel to stop it. I have an idea where but I did not do it to mine so I don't want to tell you the wrong spot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem yesterday. I had disassembled it about 4 times with no problem, but yesterday the slide just froze about 1/4" forward of the pin hole. I could not budge it in either direction. I managed to get the hammer cocked and was able to pull the slide back and put in the pin. The gun feeds a dummy round and ejects it ok now, but I am really concerned enough to try and take it apart now. Each time you disassemble it do you have to turn it upside down and hit it against your other hand? Or, did you find our what was causing it to jam? ??? Even though I only put 12 rounds through it yesterday, I still like to clean it every time I shoot it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, curiosity got the better of me. I did try to break it down and it did hang up again. I tried turning the gun over and hitting my hand. After several times, it finally slid off easily. I cleaned the gun and put it back together. Did not see anything unusual in the slide or frame. If it hangs up again next time, I try the same thing and hope that it works. Thanks to inothome for the hint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.