Slide to battery problem (maybe)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Tslepebull, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Tslepebull

Tslepebull New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    East Freakin' Texas
    After a highly sucessful fluff and buff on my new PF-9 I decided to do the same to my P3AT (G2). I have been having a problem with the slide going the last 1/8 th inch into battery and hoped slicking things up would correct it but it hasn't. If I cycle the slide by hand and let it forward slowly it stops before the slide is fully closed -- as if the slide spring runs out of tension (a slight nudge and the slide goes fully into battery). If I pull the slide back and release it quickly the slide closes completely. If I fill the magazine and pull the slide all the way back and release it quickly it will feed the rounds and the slide closes fully (most of the time, but not all the time).

On my PF-9 and P-11 the slide spring holds the slide in battery tightly -- with no slack, on the P3AT it feels like there is some slack in the slide before I feel the combined tension from the slide spring and hammer spring. I have not had the chance to live fire the pistol yet. Do I have a problem?

2. Hutch01

Hutch01 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Not until you shoot it and see! The slide on the P3 is light and there is no way to simulate the action manually other than by firing. With the restriction you describe it sounds as if it might be dragging over the hammer or perhaps along the slide rails. Make sure you lubricate that are with a little grease. You could go ahead and polish those areas a little to accelerate the break in.

I'd suggest just shooting it with any good FMJ for about 200 rounds while noting, but ignoring problems until you get several down the barrel. You must sling shot the slide to get it to feed. Allowing it to go slowly forward simply will not work on most pistols. Again, you won't really know until you shoot it. I have two and neither one has been a problem since I've owned them. As I recall I did have one or perhaps two failures to go fully into battery as you describe in the very beginning with only a few round through it. No problems since those early rounds.

3. Tslepebull

Tslepebull New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    East Freakin' Texas
    I guess you are right, I just need to shoot it. I have polished and radiused the hammer and slide to a mirror finish and greased it with Slick-50 axle grease. Time will tell.

Thanks,