slide stop and dry firing

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by marsh_maniac, May 25, 2008.

1. marsh_maniac

marsh_maniac New Member

May 25, 2008
    Shot my new p-3at today (see other post), but have another question. since the gun doesn't have a slide stop, I was dry firing quite a bit. The owner's manual makes a note about dry firing being a bad thing. Towards the end of my shooting, i began to get a feel for when the mag was on empty and the frequency of dry firing was reduced. How bad is it to dry fire? Do i just need to pay more attention about how many rounds i shoot in order to make a mental note before dry firing?

later,
    mm

2. Mark_F

Mark_F New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    MM,

SO far... I haven't experienced any problem with dry-fires after the last round. I was a bit concerned about this myself. According to what I've read, it only "dings" the screw thread. I'm OK with that. I have a super accurate lathe and could turn off the first thread or two leaving a "pin" for the firing pin to strike on dry fires. But for now I will leave it alone and "try" to avoid dry fires. After a super good polish job on the feed ramp, the little 380 feeds virtually any brand of ammo now. I'll let you in on a "trick" I did to mine. Make a buffing wheel that's about 1/32" bigger than the feed bore. Get some TRIPOLI polishing compound, and polish the entire FEED BORE. You will never have another FTE again...

3. gilbertfamily2000

gilbertfamily2000 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Most KTOGer's strongly recommend against dry firing...if you must fire your pistol without live ammo, KTOG members suggest snap caps.

You are like me, I usually "dry fire" once after emptying the mag...I should count my shots!

Try this link...it mentions the results of dry firing...click here

GoVols

P.S. Welcome to KTOG!

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I count my shots and find I rarely experience a dry fire. If you're overly concerned, FOR PRACTICE, you could load your mag. with the first "round" being a snap-cap.

Take care..

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Most brains can't easily remember 7 things, it takes work. 3-5 is more automatic. Something you might try which worked for me:

BANG-BANG-BANG
    BANG - BANG
    BANG - BANG
    Mag Change.

A triple tap followed by two double taps. This is such a mediocre round as far as stopping power goes that I wanted to train how I would act in a real world situation. They saying goes "if something is worth shooting its worth shooting twice" - hence the double tap. Starting it off with a triple tap because of this small caliber just seemed right and fit my mag count. Then, if you choose to use the +1 extensions, there is an emergency back up round available and/or a round already in the chamber with the mag change so you don't have to rack the slide.

-Scott

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    At the range I load 5 and shoot 5.

Others have loaded a snap cap into the magazine first so that it's the last round chambered and makes for a safe dry fire.

My P3 has easily a dozen or two dry fires on it from letting friends run through a few magazines and I've only recently (last 3-4 magazines) experienced a few FTFires due to light strikes but (I hesitate to mention this) I have nearly 500 flawless rounds through the P3 and the only time it's ever been cleaned was the day I bought it and the only lube in my gun is Break Free CLP. So, it's probably gunk around the firing pin, I'll find out later today or tomorrow when I break it down to parts.

7. THE_HUNTER

THE_HUNTER New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I like that!I'll be trying that. :cool:

8. Chuckles

Chuckles New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    The best solution for me has been loading a snap cap first. :)

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    An extra screw (call KT serive dept) is a good spare part to keep on hand. I try to count and avoid dry-firing. It is not a good thing. If I loose count, I look at the breech. You can see a glint of brass if a round is chambered. ;)

10. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Dry firing is not a good thing. I have received a couple of slides for plating that I had to drill out the Button Head screw because the threads were so damaged from dry firing. Also metal shavings from the screw can lodge around the firing pin and lock it up.

11. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I look at the gap in the breech too if I lose count Tx.  It's foolproof!  Also, an extra screw won't do you any good if you bashed up the threads too much for you to be able to remove it (unless you're prepared and capable of drilling it out like sprinter1).  So...we all agree, dry firing a P3AT is not a good idea.  However...you may never have to remove the screw.  I think that the reasonable call is to minimize the "dry fires" and don't worry about it!   ;D

12. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Most brains can't easily remember 7 things, it takes work. 3-5 is more automatic. Something you might try which worked for me:

BANG-BANG-BANG
    BANG - BANG
    BANG - BANG
    Mag Change.

A triple tap followed by two double taps. This is such a mediocre round as far as stopping power goes that I wanted to train how I would act in a real world situation. They saying goes "if something is worth shooting its worth shooting twice" - hence the double tap. Starting it off with a triple tap because of this small caliber just seemed right and fit my mag count. Then, if you choose to use the +1 extensions, there is an emergency back up round available and/or a round already in the chamber with the mag change so you don't have to rack the slide.

-Scott
    [/quote]

Hrm, I like this idea. Best solution yet imo. :)

13. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
  14. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    I also agree that you should always fire two shots. " Two shots center of the mass puts them on their..." , You can guess the rest. Caliber doesn't matter, it's better to be safe.
    A few times I have seen the +1 extensions mentioned. Where can I get one?
    Locally it's hard to find any Kel Tec stuff and E-bay doesn't list any actual +1
    extenders.
    Any links for getting one?
    Thanks,
    Norton

15. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Call KT parts at 1-800-515-9983.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3ataccessories.html

Shipping is flat rate no matter how much you buy, so buy it all at once. Of course, if you return a gun for service, you can order parts and ask them to "drop it in the box" of SN. That way the shipping is free.

Packer.

16. roland45

roland45 New Member

May 16, 2008
    I too have been looking for the +1 extension, but this is what has been posted for at least the last 2 weeks at the kel tec store

*** out of stock, or not yet available, please check back again at a later time ***

I have seen them for sale on other websites, I just havent found a website that has both the +1
    and a magazine in stock at the same time.
    I would rather order them together, insted of 1 pc from this site w / shipping, and 1 pc from another site  w/ shipping
    Roland

17. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Norton talks about two shots and others have recommended "double taps".  I want to emphasize a caveat for the P3AT...if you double tap a P3, remember to release the trigger fully so that you don't "short-stroke" and get a misfire.  If you're used to single action automatics, as I am, you do a short release to the click and then fire the second round.  That's what I do with my 1911 and PT140.  This is not the correct approach with the P3!  You must release the trigger FULLY between shots.  I don't think that this is a problem.  It's just different.

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    +1

That is why I practice with triple/double/double taps. Then when I need to do it quickly the muscle memory will take over.

-Scott

19. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Now why didn't I think of that EXCELLENT idea really!! ;)

Tom j.

20. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    What speed did you use on your drimal tool high low medium? I've heard different opinions, got to try this and how did you make it.

Tom j.