Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new member here who recently bought a 2nd hand Gen 1 P3AT...I LOVE IT! Fantastic accuracy, amazing concealability, and I haven't had a jam through 150rds of both hollowpoint and ball ammo!

My problem is that I'm in a tropical country and my unit has shown some signs of rusting on the slide, particularly where the serrations are. What should I do? Should I have it reblued, plated with electronized nickel, or black chrome? I got this as a hideout piece, so I'm not too keen on having it made into a 2 tone gun.

If I do have it refinished, will this affect the reliability of my gun?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Many years ago I spent a year in a tropical environment and I would get it hard chromed if it were me. I understand your desire to keep it concealed but I think you could manage it. In the heat and sweat I don't think anything less will do.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
In the meantime, clean it real good, and rub several coats of Johnson's, or other good carnuba paste floor wax into the metal.
Just leave it there in the slide serrations, or all over for that matter.

It won't stop rust entirely, but it will sure slow it down.

rcmodel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys! Decided to go down the nickel route, I got a lot of photos of 2 tone Kel-Tecs, they've grown on me.

It's really hard living in a tropical country - aside from not having too many options in terms of accessories, guns here in the Philippines are more expensive. I got my 2nd hand Kel-Tec for $400! I'm still happy with it though.

Thanks again guys, will post photos of my finished gun after it's done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually sir, it was more expensive than $400...the gun was 25,000 pesos (which was 52.40 = $1) so that was Php. 477.09 PLUS 6,500 pesos for the transfer of license fees and processing...

Grand total was $601.14!!!

No regrets though.

Gun prices have always been crazy here. The FN Five seveN is only $785 which is roughly Php. 41,134 over there right? The selling price of a 5.7 pistol is Php. 250,000 or $4770.99!!! That's like 2 or 3 MP5's over there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.