Slide Rust

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DMZUS, Oct 16, 2009.

1. DMZUS

DMZUS New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Hello everyone! First post, so go easy.

I've searched the forum for my subject and didn't find much, if anything, on the boards. I've purchased another Kel-Tec, this time a P-3AT (already own a P-32). What I've noticed is, how easily the slide rusts after use, while sitting idle, etc.

My P-3AT, which hasn't even been shot yet, started rusting, while sitting in it's case. I've had it only 2 weeks. Question is:

1. Is this normal?
    2. What can I do to help prevent this?
    3. What can I do to get rid of the rust that's starting now?

Thanks for the help everyone.

-Chris

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG.

Rust is not unusual on any blued firearm, but some KT's seem to have more issues that others.

Check out reply #19 from RC, I think it's the best solution you'll find without refinishing the slide.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1241920077/15#19

If you'd rather have the slide refinished Golden Loki is a real pro and a great guy to deal with.

http://www.goldenloki.com/

Click on gunsmithing and then duracoat colors for more information. You might want to spend a little time looking around his web site, there is alot of good info there including gel tests, lube guide and F&B instructions.

CJ

3. DMZUS

DMZUS New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Excellent reply sir!

I'll check into the wax thing...that sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the GoldenLoki link as well. Lots of good information over there.

4. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I've always kept mine wiped down with Birchwood Casey silicon impregnated cloth I bought at Wal-mart. I've never had any rust form on it. Of course, it's not to keep any gun in case with a cloth or foam lining since both materials attract moisture. I'd wager keeping it in the case caused the rust to which you're referring.

5. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I have a relatively new gun, too. During a recent cleaning I thought I detected some rust on my slide, as well, on one side on the area towards the rear where you grasp it. I used a q-tip with cleaning solution to rub it off. It took a while, but the stuff came off. Maybe it wasn't rust; I really wasn't too sure, but it looked like it, that particular brownish-yellow color. I'm going to read the aformentioned 'reference' post on this issue, as it's something I'm pretty interested in.

Thanks again for all the great help, you guys that have been around a while. It's really invaluable to us newcomers.

6. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    The red rust looking stuff in the slide grooves on new guns is most likely residue left from the hot-bluing salts.

A freshly blued gun comes out of the bluing tank covered with a red film that is carded off prior to final oiling.

They ain't getting it all out of the grasping grooves on all of them.

It is not rust, and won't turn into rust if left alone.

rc

7. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009
  8. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    My PF-9 had this red film in the slide grooves. I used bore cleaner to remove it.

9. DontSaveHer

DontSaveHer New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    BreakFree CLP is very good a corrosion resistance and has a very good synthetic base oil similar to whats used in Mobil-1. It also has cleaners in it that will strip all that old stuff off your slide.

Rem-Oil  has included corrosion inhibitors in there new formula also. Has VCI on the label now. I knew the old stuff was no good for rust.