Slide replaced [spring came out] some service_NOT!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Walsh2, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Walsh2

Walsh2 New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Okay, maybe I'm being a tad demanding.

I posted that my spring came out. Through help here I found that my chrome slide was one that had been drilled wrong as the edge showed a slight crack and was literally paper thin.

I mailed the slide in ($6), which is not a big deal. But I sent a check in for an extra magazine and asked, for my trouble, if they would include one of their grip extensions. Nada, zilch, nothing! I think they sell them for $6 and they likely cost them a dollar. Plus, they held shipment for 15 days for the check to clear according to the note.

I sure hope, if needed, this gun shoots better than some continued problems I see reported here. This is not a sporting gun for me. This is a "MUST WORK IF DRAWN" gun as it is in my front or back pocket and would only be pulled if I can't get to my HK or Sig. And I have drawn my gun twice in the last year at night in Charlotte. We have a crime problem as it's a revolving door (in)justice system.

I'm beginning to think I should have paid $1000 for a Seecamp.  >:(

Walsh

2. Re: Slide replaced [spring came out] some service_

What is seecamp service like, and do they ever malfunction?

How much do they weigh?

I have heard that it is alomst impossible to even find a new seecamp. Do you know how long the waiting list to buy one is?

3. Re: Slide replaced [spring came out] some service_

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I am happily enjoying and trusting my 3AT's.  I have not had a single failure in the last 500 (at least) rounds of the 3at I carry daily.  (It is the blued one.)

[​IMG]

And, for what it is worth,  less than $1000 invested in all three!

4. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Re: Slide replaced [spring came out] some service_

If I understand this correctly, you're upset because they didn't give you a part, advertised with a cost, for free when you asked for it, or are you saying they didn't send you the magazine that you paid for?

If the latter, I would definitely understand your concern and share your annoyance. If the former...well, Kel-Tec is responsible for fixing your gun, of course, but they are not beholden to give out free accessories just because a customer is upset. They may choose to do so at their discretion, but like you say, they have a listed price for the extension. If you wanted a magazine with an extension, you'd have needed to pay them for it. It would have been a nice gesture for them to give you one, but nice gestures are usually offered willingly, not demanded and insisted upon. At least you got free shipping by combining the mag order and the return!

If you're unwilling to to pay a few bucks for an accessory I'm not sure how you'd like making the jump to paying $1000 for a Seecamp, if you can even get a .380 version in that price range! And of course, like the Rohrbaughs and other high end pocket pistols, you're as likely to have problems with them also.

Still, sorry you had trouble with yours. Hopefully the new one treats you right. KT service was great when I sent my PF-9 in.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

When I BOUGHT my two magazines, the box arrived with several extractor screws, extrator, and leaf spring.
    Not $6 worth, but nice nether the lest.

So like KTs, some get em that work, others don't :'(

6. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004

Walsh, I’ll give you $100 for that inoperative P-3AT, that you can use for a down payment on a $1000 Seecamp. :)

Wilson – who’s wishing he could afford a $1000 Seecamp or even a $900 Rohrbaugh

7. Re: Slide replaced [spring came out] some service_

I could afford it...  but would not enjoy the couch enough to offset the joy of the gun!  

8. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

fwiw, i enjoy my p3at more than my rohrbaugh.

but not more than my kahr, but the kahr is no where near as concealable.

rjhauser - whose p3at may or may not be in his front pocket, and the other on the desk as he types this.

rjhauser - whose wife may or may not have access to a p3at as well.

9. jackstinson

jackstinson New Member

Jul 24, 2007

With all due respect, that would be the general consensus.
    Your gun was repaired and you got what you paid for, what else did you expect? Perhaps if you had not asked them to send you free stuff, it may have turned out differently. And in most business transactions through the mail or online, if you don't want to wait for a personal check to clear, send a money order. If you can afford a Seecamp, you can afford to buy a money order for 49 cents at WalMart.
    Jack (Who can afford a buy Seecamp, but prefers the P3AT)

10. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006

There I fixed it for you RJ! :D

11. ice

ice New Member

Apr 18, 2007

I don`t think KT is obligated to give free stuff, just repair or replace the slide in a reasonable amount of time.
    On the other hand, I think the slide peening problem is unacceptable and rediculess.
    I don`t understand why KT does not remedy this problem.

12. jocko

jocko Guest

Heh RJ the NAA mini 22 is much smallerthan the 380 kt, to but we are giving up alot by going to the 22 from the 380 kt, which is the most concealable 380 on the market, but we are giving up again alot to when we could also carry the 9mm in our front pocket, not as totally concealalbe, but concealable... but firepower, 22, 380, 9mm, which do you like best. My kahr pm9 can ride with me 95% of the time in the front pocket and also in my 5.11 tactical holster shirt.

13. Walsh2

Walsh2 New Member

Jul 6, 2007

With all due respect, that would be the general consensus.
    Your gun was repaired and you got what you paid for, what else did you expect? Perhaps if you had not asked them to send you free stuff, it may have turned out differently. And in most business transactions through the mail or online, if you don't want to wait for a personal check to clear, send a money order. If you can afford a Seecamp, you can afford to buy a money order for 49 cents at WalMart.
    Jack (Who can afford a buy Seecamp, but prefers the P3AT)[/quote]

But the point is that they are fortunate, due to shitty quality control that should NEVER have allowed multiple slides to go out of the factory, that they weren't sued. I know a product liabilty lawyer. If you fire a shot and the spring flies out and you get beaten half to death [or to death] the company never sees a court case as they'll settle it for a lot of money.

I asked for too much in requesting a extension WHILE also buying an extra mag? Gee, I'm sorry. I could have used the gun to defend my, or anothers. life and caused a slaughter by ****ing someone off with a .380 in him before my .40 came out.

I have lots of guns and lots of ammo and lots of training. This is not my primary carry gun and anyone who makes it as such if they really do travel in areas where they might need it is foolish. It is a "pocket" gun to come out of your pocket if you can't get to your main carry gun, as in a gun is pointed at your chest and the Kel-Tek comes from your back pocket. Think I'm wrong? Argue with an FBI Agent whose job is to train incoming agents and SWAT agents. If you are walking around with 7 shots of .380 as your only defense you are either Roy Rodgers or you have been VERY ill informed as to the purpose of this gun.

They could have sent an extension. The extension wasn't my point. I could buy it here for $5 or less. I asked them to do so to see what their customer service was like. Kel-Tek's service, from a margeting POV, is foolish. I didn't demand a free extension. I wrote a polite letter stating that it would be nice if, for my trouble, they tossed it in.

That's too much to ask? I bought a Sig that went back to the factory twice for failure to feed. I faxed the president and within 2 hours I was called by the VP of customer service with an e-mailed UPS form to return it the next day. They immediately shipped a new one to my local FFL as they didn't want me carrying a gun that was malfunctioning (getting the thought of the manufacturer's liability yet?) and for my trouble of putting 1500 rd's through it and having repeated FTF (50%+) they sent me 4 extra magazines. THAT is astonishing customer service from a company with million dollar contracts.

Walsh

14. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

I hope if and when you get one, that you don't let the price tag keep you from plating/painting/dyeing it to one of those purdy colors we all know so well.

15. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004

Perhaps that's why they can afford to do those kinds of things.

16. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006

I'm glad we have such important people here, who know other people, and even know lawyers.

They're even smart enough to lecture all of us on what to carry, and how best to do it. And it's hard to tell, but it seems like they could even be an fbi agent.

::)

I love free advice on the internet.

*looks in his pocket*

Hey! My P-3AT is still there, and it's still flawless. Awesome. I'll foolishly rely on it some more in the future.

:cool:

17. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas

50 % failure ? Darn glad I have a Kel Tec ( I'v had very few issues and they were all worked out at home), I sure wouldn't want a POS  Sig like you just described.

18. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007

Something is wrong here, because no proper training program would teach you to attempt to draw a pistol from anywhere when someone already has the drop on you. That only happens in Hollywood. Watching Bad Boys several times does not count as "lots of training." And having "lots of guns and lots of ammo" doesn't make you any smarter than anyone else either.

19. jackstinson

jackstinson New Member

Jul 24, 2007

There seems to be a lot wrong here. I wonder why the K-T was purchased?
    Praise for the customer service of a company who made a gun which gave a 50% failure rate? This minor (?) "trouble" was offset by receiving four free magazines? Am I missing something?
    It's always entertaining reading about how anemic the .380 cartridge is.
    Drawing a pocket gun with a bad guy's muzzle aimed at my chest? Now THAT is fresh out of Hollywood. I think I saw it on Lethal Weapon 12 :)
    BTW- Roy Rogers carried .45 Colts, James Bond a .32, then .380, then 9mm.
    Jack

20. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005

1. I retired my Seecamp .32 when the KT P32 came out. The Seecamp was a quality gun but heavier.

2. I have unfortunately had considerable experience with the KT service department. I have been very well satisfied but I have never asked for free parts except as replacements for those that were defective.

3. I know you live in an area with a warm climate but with the crime situation you describe you really should look at a Kahr PM9 as your primary gun with the KT as a backup.