Slide Refinishing Q

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by nmshooter, Jan 22, 2009.

1. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Well, I got to handle my p3at yesterday and I should be good to go to pick it up today and one thing that I would like to do is do some type of refinishing work on the slide. I do not want to just blue it but put a nice purty coating on her. ;)

Who do you recommend?

What is the most aesthetically pleasing and most durable type of finish? (nickel plating, chrome, etc.)

If you have had yours done please post pictures of how it turned out and some details on the work.

Thanks!

:)

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Most durable is arguably some type of plating.

Most purty is up to you.

I like mine blued because blue is easy to personally maintain without special equipment or effort.

3. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
  4. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I used Duracoat to refinish an Intratec AB-10 and was surprised at how good it turned out. It looks very professional and seems to be durable. If you have an airbrush and prep the metal well, it should give you good results. They have a huge selection of colors if you are wanting to make something unique...

5. 68hodaka

68hodaka New Member

Nov 5, 2008
    After taking out the extractor and firing pin, I polished my slide down to almost a mirror finish and then shot it with glass bead. No coating whatsoever. I just keep it slightly oiled.
    It looks better then hard chrome and if it gets a scratch, I'll just blast it again.

6. phousley

phousley New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    I got mine hard chromed. It looks terrible with the olive drab frame, but no more rust or wear. It has held up great. I had a motorcycle shop plate it. They only charged me $20.

7. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005