Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a current production PF9 with the shinny blued slide and was wondering what to look for to see if the slide/barrel is penning? Is this common or just limited to a small batch of guns? Does it happen at a certain round count? thanks.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
So far as I can tell from those who have posted with this issue, it is random and a very small number of guns relative to the number sold or in use. If it happens it appears onthe front of the slide opening, within the first 500 rounds. Chances of your pistol having the issue are very small.

Jim R

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
we have not heard of any for some time now , that said we will get a bunch :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
we have not heard of any for some time now , that said we will get a bunch :)
Here's your first. :( Went to the range today. Loaded an 8-rd mag with Speer Gold Dot 115 gr JHP. Fired 6 rounds and the slide froze up about 1/4 of the way back. Removed mag and FINALLY managed to get slide fully back and locked open. Removed empty case and tried to let slide close. No such luck! Packed it up until I got home.

At home, got the slide off and found problem -- serious peening. That totally surprised me, since I do a thorough cleaning after every range trip and had seen no signs of any slide damage before today.

Bought my PF-9 in early December 2011. Serial number S3Txx. Back to KT it goes. Maybe they can take a look at the extraction components as well, since I've had a little problem with FTEx. Going to miss having it around while it goes home for a while. :(

·
Administrator
31,979 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Take pictures of every part of your disambled pistol for comparison when you get it back. Look at all the machining marks. If you want any upgrades, have it done while they have it, ie: chrome slide. Sit back and endure the long period before you get the gun back. Find something else to shoot in the meantime. When it comes back...Fluff and Buff, lubricate well, and look very closely after firing for any damage. Good Luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have not had any problem with my slide but the barrel shows some signs of chipping where it meets the top of the slide around the front of the chamber. Does anyone know if this is a common problem?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think I may have a Slide penning issue or is this normal? Only 200 rounds shot so far.

yep...looks like you got a bad slide, but not positive from the pic angle

if it looks like this, it sure 'nuff is a peened slide and needs replaced

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I may have a Slide penning issue or is this normal? Only 200 rounds shot so far.
I hope its normal. My pf9 HC has the same marks (over 500 rounds) as yours, but none of the sharp edges that Capp showed in his pictures. No issues since the first couple boxes of fmj.

·
Registered
31 Posts
After about 100 rounds I disassembled and found the same thing only worse. could not get the slide all the back. Gun was really dirty after 100 rounds. Sent it to KT. When I get it back I am only shooting 25 rounds between cleanings. Serial no. S6xxx.

·
Registered
133 Posts
After about 100 rounds I disassembled and found the same thing only worse. could not get the slide all the back. Gun was really dirty after 100 rounds. Sent it to KT. When I get it back I am only shooting 25 rounds between cleanings. Serial no. S6xxx.
This is quite disturbing. My PF-9 is also a Serial number S6xxx. Tells me to check it very carefully before next Tuesday when I get to take it to the range for the first time. Also to check carefully when I get back home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My gun store dealer checked with KT. He said that they said it would be another 2weeks tell it's fixed. I intend to disassemble it, clean and lub it before I go to the range. I bought a verity of ammo to try. Not win white box. As I said, will only shoot 3 mags worth of ammo between cleaning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts