Slide on My P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by NavDoc, Dec 11, 2008.

1. NavDoc

NavDoc New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    I need assistance.  I did not find this subject in TecWerks or in the Defensive Round post where everyone posted what round they use and to report any feed problems.

Background:  KelTec P3AT, Fluff and Buff performed, cleaned and lubed this afternoon with Mili-Tec grease and oil

Problem:  After cleaning an lubing this afternoon, I inserted a full mag of CorBon DPX into the pistol.  I racked the slide and the round did not properly seat into the chamber without me giving the slide a little forward push.  Upon doing so, the round seated properly.  I tried this with another mag full of CorBon DPX with the same results.  I tried regular ball ammo and the issue is less pronounced.  Of course, I am not a gunsmith, but it looks like the nose of the CorBon DPX is not going into the feed ramp.  It looks a little low.  But a little nudge fixes the problem.

This is my main carry weapon unless it is colder and I can conceal my Glock under a jacket.  I like CorBon DPX and use it in my Glock 40 cal.  Many of you on this site as well as other sites are NOT having issues with CorBon DPX in a P3-AT.

Please advise.

2. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    This is a common occurance with a new P3AT. Don't be afraid to pull the slide all the way back and let it fly. Slightly riding the slide can cause the round to not fully chamber. Things will loosen up after a couple of hundred rounds or so. Nothing to be worried about.

Welcome to KTOG

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.

Yeas that is common with new guns and new owners. A little grease on the rails and especially the hammer face, and then getting the hang of racking slide ALL the way back and letting go will get it better.

For my self, I just have the habit of palming the back of the slide imediately after I release it

4. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Pull the slide back and let it go with a snap. Don't ease it loose even a little bit. It will smooth out with shooting.

Rick

5. NavDoc

NavDoc New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    As long as Round #1 goes BOOM! and there is enough force to load Round #2 properly, I'm okay with that.

6. P-3aT_ShoTTer

P-3aT_ShoTTer New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    this is a fairly common problem on smaller firearms and most manufactures recomend to down load the magazine by 1 round or to lock the slide open and use the release to chamber the first round; however the P3AT's do not have slide stop, so thats not an option. I would suggest to take a piece of 1200 grit sand paper to the feed ramp and polish it a bit and your problem should be resolved. Also be sure that the first round in the magazine in full seated before inserting the mag into the gun for the first time, teh recoil will settle the subsequent rounds.