Slide Lock-Back on Last Round???

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hurryin_Hoosier, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Hurryin_Hoosier

Hurryin_Hoosier New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Probably a dumb question, but does the slide on the P3AT lock back after the last round in the magazine has been fired (and the empty magazine is still inserted)? I was thinking that it did on the P32 that a friend had. In fact, you had to remove the empty magazine in order for the slide to go forward. Not the same way with the P3AT???

2. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    correct. keltec ditched the slide lock on the p3at, imo not a bad design choice for an ultra compact self defense pistol.

3. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Personally I kinda wish the P3AT had a slide lock back on the last round as that would make it consistent with every other semiauto I have, but you can't have everything.

4. apex1

apex1 New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Interestingly, the Ruger LCP has a manual slide lock but it also does not lock back after the last round.  It only functions manually.

5. RHB43

RHB43 New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    To answer the question, the slide does not lock back on last round. I agree with Ka6otm. that if it locked back it would be like my othe semi autos. Then it wouldn't confuse this old man.

6. ansursvary

ansursvary New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    IIRC, the slide lock was ditched to save space when the P32 was retooled as a 380.

7. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Ruger included the "manual" slide lock to make the LCP more range friendly, as many ranges require a gun to be visibly "locked open' when a cease fire is called. Many (most) small semi autos do not include this feature as it adds another complication in what is designed to be a simple pocket pistol for self defense. Additionally, the thinking, I believe, is that you will likely never need to change mags in a self defense situation using such a pistol (if you do, then you really should have brought a good rifle to the firefight) and so a slide lock is just not needed.

Jim R

8. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    +1 on what PgunnerR says.

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    :cool: