Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a Gen 1 slide/barrel fit a Gen 2 frame and grip? If no one here knows, I'll call KT, but I suspect, for lawyer reasons, they won't encourage such a swap.

Plan to get a new P3AT to replace my worn out old 1st Gen, but I really like the extractor and rounded edges on the slide of the 1st Gen.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Really hate to retire my old 1st Gen; have put thousands of rounds thru it over the years, including a bit of the hot Spanish Santa Barbara stuff. Totally reliable and surprisingly pleasant to shoot--for me anyway. But lately parts have been breaking (FP, hammer spring) and the assembly pin has started backing out when firing. That's when I discovered the hammer pin and assembly pin holes in the frame are getting loose.

If this were an AR15, oversized pins would be available, but I am unaware of a similar fix for the P3AT.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Call Kel Tec. They may have some parts laying around and be able to help you. I doubt there is any "legal" problems with a swap. They'll take care of you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, tried calling KT this morning but nobody would pick up the phone at the P-32/P3AT desk. Will give it another shot next week. They've been really good when I've managed to get hold of them.

The assembly pin holes in the frame are very sloppy, and I don't see what can be done other than replacing the frame--something I'm entirely cool with if KT agrees. My local LGS changes just $10 to do a transfer. Cheaper by far than a new pistol.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
If they were to replace the frame under warranty they would stamp your old S/N on it. That way it's still the same gun and you don't need the FFL. You never know, they may just send a completly new gun with the old S/N on it if they can't fix your's. That's what I've heard other members say they did in the past anyway.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Iknow for a fact they have Gen 1 parts laying there for service. I had to send mine back last year and the service tech told me so. I suppose they will eventually run out, then they will have to change frames and serial numbers to the Gen 2 when servicing

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
It should be a simple matter to drill out the frame & grip for over-size pins.

I haven't looked, but there should be plenty of room to do it.

rc

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the help. I'd sure like to keep this old girl shooting for a few more years. Would be terrific if they would repair it under warranty, but I no longer have the sales receipt and the shop where I bought it has long since closed. The lady at the KT CS desk did not ask if I was the original owner a few months ago when I needed a new hammer spring and FP, so maybe they'll take my work for it. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Please keep us informed.

I'm in the same boat. My old gen-1 has been great even if it is a little long in the teeth.

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
This old thread shows the breakdown of the different parts:
http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=197491&highlight=generation

Iknow for a fact they have Gen 1 parts laying there for service.
What parts? Slides, barrels, grips, extractors, recoil rod catch? These parts are all different for the 1st & 2nd gen P3s.

Most of the small, internal parts are the same so they are always available. When the 2nd gen guns first came out, for the first couple years KT still made occassional batches of 1st gen only parts for service. Over the years, they seemed to do that less and less. Probably shutting down the line and retooling and resetting cnc machines for those parts is costly, and obviously stops other production. Plus the old slides were made from a totally different bar stock from the stuff they use today.

More often than not for the past few years, when they needed major parts, KT has simply replaced 1st gen guns with 2nd gen guns. In fact, I had assumed they no longer made those 1st gen parts at all because it has been a long time since I have seen someone get a new slide or barrel for 1st gen P3. We have been told flat out that the grips are no longer available as well. If you got a new barrel, slide or grip lately for a 1st gen P3, that's good news. Maybe they made a batch, or maybe they found a box of old parts.

What new parts did you get for a 1st gen P3? :confused:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KT has at least some Gen 1 parts on hand. A few months ago I called to get a new hammer spring since my old one broke. The CS lady asked if I had Gen 1 or Gen 2. I told her Gen 1 and she said she would send a complete assembly consisting of hammer, spring, pin, and plug thingy for the mag well.

Parts quickly arrived and I installed them. Functioned fine, but trigger pull was about twice as heavy as before. Called KT again. This time the lady asked for the serial number, I gave it, and she said I had a very early gun which used a slightly different hammer. Incredibly, she had this early hammer and sent it to me. Back to normal and all was well until the assembly pin started backing out.

All these parts were sent free of charge. Just about the best CS I've ever had from any company.

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
A few months ago I called to get a new hammer spring since my old one broke. The CS lady asked if I had Gen 1 or Gen 2. I told her Gen 1 and she said she would send a complete assembly consisting of hammer, spring, pin, and plug thingy for the mag well.
I'm not sure why she asked which generation. IIRC, as are most internal paprts, the hammer spring assembly is the same for both generations.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure myself, TxCajun, but the "very early" Gen 1 hammer is different from the supposedly later Gen 1 I was sent originally--but you gotta look real close to see the difference.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with KT CS, and was asked to send the pistol in. Lady said they would probably need to replace the frame, but they would rebuild the gun as a Gen 1, so I get to keep my slide with the nice rounded edges and the better (I think) extractor. Hope they don't give me a hard time about the barrel, which I modified to eliminate those infamous smiles.

Told the lady up front that I am the original owner but cannot prove it as the paperwork was lost at some point. I'm sure the ATF has the records of the defunct dealer I purchased it from, but I'm not going there. She said KT would "probably" repair the pistol under warranty.

Even if I have to pay something, if the price is substantially lower than what a new pistol would cost, I'll be ecstatic. Stay tuned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts