Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My P 17 has had some problems with the slide and was sent back to Kel Tec for service. About two
weeks later it was returned and a new slide and Barrel were installed. Seem to be ok for about 50 rounds
when the slide failed to hold open on the last round. I called Kel tec to ask what to do and was told to send it back in for further repairs. I did just that and on December 4, 2020, the pistol was received by Kel Tec and I was hoping to get it back in a short time frame. When it was not finished by Jan. 4, 2021, I called and was told Maybe another two weeks !! Still out and I don't have a clue as to when it is being fixed and returned? While the P 17 only cost $169.00 it should work at least for a year, not one week !! Maybe I am expecting more from Kel Tec's service during the Covid pandemic. I just will try to be a bit more patient. Let's hope I will get the P 17 soon and it works. ( At least a little while ) I would like to say the Best $169.00 pistol I have ever brought, But at this point, I think not as my Phoenix HP-22 is still having fun after 1000' plus rounds. Stand by for further updates to the adventures of the P 17's second visit to sunny Coco Florida.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did you check for the bent slide hold open part? This seems to be a recurring theme when the slide won't stay open on the last round.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a follow up on the P 17 in for slide holdback problem. Just spoke to Kel Tec and was told not until February as the part that holds the slide back after the last round is fired is being redesigned. I sent my P 17 in for service the second time on Dec. 1 and they receive it on the 4th of Dec. so the estimated repair and return is somewhere in February. It seems to be an issue even with other P 17's even new ones not sold and that caused a rethinking and designed of the part and pistol. At least I have my Colt gold cup, Ruger SR22, GSG 1911/22, Ruger Single 6, Heritage 22 even my little tack driver the Phoenix HP-22a will keep me busy until my P 17 is returned. I guess it is part of my fault for buying a pistol without checking on the reviews before buying. I will keep posting updates on the return and success of the repair. In the meantime, Everyone stays safe and shoot what you have life is good even with your broken P17 temporally out of service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checking reviews only let you know what some people have experienced. I have 2 P17 and have had no problems.
That's what I saw before buying, But today Kel tec said differently. They are retooling the slide stop to help keep the slide open on the last round fired. Kel tec said the part is not available till February, So I wait and wait and one day I will get it back. Kel Tec seems to have Taurus timelines on some of their repairs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am glad KT is redesigning the lock back bar. As I have said in other posts if the tab on the bar is slightly bent down it will cause the slide to lockback with ammo still in the mag along with adding friction to the slide causing failure to feed issues. If the tab is slightly bent up it will cause failure to lock back on last fired round. If the tab is bent perfect...which I think the vast majority are...the gun works flawless. If the gun wasn't so tricky to take apart I would tweak the bar myself. Mine is bent down slightly so I just trimmed my mags to compensate and my gun runs flawless now. I can see where the bar is a tough quality control issue for KT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck, Photo35, and thanks for keeping us updated.
I am hoping it will be in asap, but I am not holding my breath. As soon as I get it back I will be out to the range to try it out and then we will let all know plus exactly what Kel-Tec did to repair the pistol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts