Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been an avid reader fo this forum for a few months now, I just got a p3at a month ago and the finish on the slide has never looked good. It has small divots and is prone to rusting even with oil and silicone cloth wipe down.

My question to you is, what is the fastest slide finishing place, and I would like to keep it black.

I cantl live without it for very long. :'(

Justin

·
Registered
702 Posts
If it is that bad....send it back to KelTec...something must have gone wrong with the batch yours was processed with. I have mine for about two years....go to the range quite a bit..carry 24/7 and have not noticed any of what you describe.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Black might be a problem, unless you go Black Chrome or DuraCoat paint.
About anything else is just another rust-based hot-blue job.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some good refinisher info.

In the mean time, clean it of all oil & silicone with rubbing alcohol or solvent, then rub several coats of Johnson's Paste Floor Wax, or other good Carnuba Paste Wax into the finish.
Don't buff it off. Just let it wear off naturally.

The carnuba wax will fill the divots & pores in the metal and stop rust from getting a foothold in them to get started. Not as good as Hard Chrome or DuraCoat, but I think you will find it stops your rust problems, or at least slows it down considerably.

rcmodel

G

·
THIS NEW FINISH THAT CAME ON MY FACTORY KT IS MUCH MORE DURALBE THAN THE OLDER STYLE BLUEING...I THINK I WILL EVEN TRY RC'S WAX JOB ON THIS FINISH EVEN, AS IT IS GOOD ENOUGH TO TAKE A GOOD WAX JOB..

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
some1yell said:
I cantl live without it for very long.
Have you checked locally?
Kel-Tec replaced one of my slides that needed rebluing but it required the same turn around time as any other repair (4 weeks, IIRC).

I just sent a P-11 slide to CCR earlier this week. I’ve requested it be refinished in Satin Black Gun Kote, which is more resident to salt water (sweat) than Dura Coat is. If you haven’t taken action by the time I get it back, I’ll post CCR’s turn around time.

Wilson – who’s a big fan of Hard Chrome P-3ATs :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I used Macs refinishing and been happy w/ it. I wanted black, or I would have gone nickle which is real durable. Little bit of wear on high spots w/ Macs finish, but NO rust or nicks,ect. I live and work and fish and......all in humid FL, one road over from salt water and it working well. Great guy to deal with BTW. I believe my turnaround was 9or10 days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.