Slide Finish Fouling?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Cremator, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    When I got my P-3AT the Parkerized finish on the slide was perfect. After shooting 100 flawless rounds I now see some brass colored scratching on the top behind the ejection port as seen in the picture. I tried to clean it off with some regular Hoppes cleaner, but it did not come off. I was thinking this could be from the shell getting hitting the top of the slide on the way out. Has anyone else seen this before, and should I worry about it? Is there another cleaner that would get it off, or should it go back to the mother ship do to a finish flaw?

[​IMG]

2. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    You could try some bore cleaner for copper/brass. KT only warrants finishes for a few weeks, and I doubt if that would be covered anyway. Your other option would be to strip the finish off and re parkerize it yourself, you can get kits for around $20.

3. ccr

ccr Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Parkerazation is more for rust protection then it is for looks. Try cleaning it what you may have is the brass got on top of the parkerazation and it should come off

4. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    ive got a parketerized rifle and it looks just the same after a shooting session. copper solvents help for me

5. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Thanks for the info. So I should use any copper or brass solvent, or are they the same thing? I have never needed anything more than regular gun cleaner.

6. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Copper Bore Solvent.

Never heard of any brass solvent.

Hoppies #9 should take it off if you leave it on there overnight.
    It has a very mild copper solvent action.

rcmodel

7. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    That is what I used, but I only tried to wipe it off. I did not let it soak. Maybe I will try that before I go trying to find another cleaner to keep around.

Thanks