Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completely stripped and cleaned an older chinese SKS I purchased for a very good price. It was modified to Canadian standards (5 round mag and no bayonet). That's ok with me. Mags are cheap and I don't need a bayonet. I'm seriiously considering sporterizing this rifle. I'm just finishing my mosin project and am thinking the sks will make a reasonable deer rifle for my 12 year old grandson. I know that both TAPCO and ATI make stocks for the sks. I'm really impressed with the Timbersmith stocks. I'd like to hear from anyone who has gone down this particular sks road. Also, the gas rod is showing a lot of wear although the bore is excellent. What do you think about replacing the gas rod?

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I just completely stripped and cleaned an older chinese SKS I purchased for a very good price. It was modified to Canadian standards (5 round mag and no bayonet). That's ok with me. Mags are cheap and I don't need a bayonet. I'm seriiously considering sporterizing this rifle. I'm just finishing my mosin project and am thinking the sks will make a reasonable deer rifle for my 12 year old grandson. I know that both TAPCO and ATI make stocks for the sks. I'm really impressed with the Timbersmith stocks. I'd like to hear from anyone who has gone down this particular sks road. Also, the gas rod is showing a lot of wear although the bore is excellent. What do you think about replacing the gas rod?
May as well replace the gas rod. As for the stocks, I have always liked the ATI stocks but I have never owned one. I've owned a Tapco stock for my AK and it was rock solid. Both product lines are good stuff.

·
Registered
579 Posts
sks's are awesome and chinese ones are a dime a dozen. i had a tapco stock on my last SKS and it was wonderful. i have a ATI stock on my mosin M44 ( orignal stock was badly cracked) both are good for the money and have 100% warrantys last time i checked.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I've re-built a couple of SKS's over the years. I did a search to find the threads I started on them. All the work I show in the first link I also did for the SKS in the second link - except I kept the wood furniture on the second.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=208081

http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=207417

I also put Hammer/Trigger/Sear kits in both rifles that I got from Murray's Guns. Since I kept the original furniture on the Norinco I need the extra 922 compliance parts to make it legal. I didn't need the compliance parts on the Yugo, but I wanted them to have the same trigger feel. Both of my SKS's are super nice and they were awesome project guns. I'd never be able to sell them for what I have into them. But I don't plan to sell them anyway.

Happy Easter!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your plan is to use the iron sights for hunting, you may want to check these out.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

They're peep sights that attach to the rear of the receiver. I haven't tried them myself but am planning to. Just as soon as I convince myself to spend money on my poor SKS instead of other toys.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I'm not a fan of peep sights for hunting, have had to pass on deer not being able to see through the peep as the light is going.

When i was still hunting with relics i almost always carried in a scoped rifle too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not a fan of peep sights for hunting, have had to pass on deer not being able to see through the peep as the light is going.

When i was still hunting with relics i almost always carried in a scoped rifle too.
Yeah, that's a valid point. I'd wonder how good the sight picture is, too, with the other rear sight base almost being in the way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a SKS with the Tapco T6. I liked the stock a lot. Felt good, comfortable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The SKS is so much fun!! I have 4 of them...a Russian a Yugo and 2 Chinese. One of the chinese rifles did not have matching numbers so we call him Bubba. Bubba got a Tapco stock and some new innards.

The one thing about Tapco ( I have no experience with any other brand ) is that it will take some minor tweaking to get it on right. So if you go that route have some patience when it comes to assembly time. Looks and function are great IMHO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yugo SKS

Here is mine that I finished. It has the ATI stock, harris style bipod, 4x32 fixed scope, a receiver scope mount that actually stays in place lol and still allows use of the iron sights, a recoil buffer, I removed the grenade launcher, the grenade launcher, sights and the bayonet. I replaced the grenade launcher with a Tapco yugo sks muzzle brake, and also the tapco 20rd magazine which has run flawless and makes a perfect grip for your support hand. It is fully 922R compliant because the stock counts as 3, the magazine as 3, and the muzzle brake as 1 towards American made parts. It shoots so well it is one of my favorite rifles to take to range now. Here is a picture from the last time I took it out with a buddy of mine and we aimed at only the head of the silhouette from 100 yds to show how accurate it is. By the way the ones outside the black I blame on my buddy but he cant help it he was a marine and I was a soldier!;)

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Put a Ramline folding stock on mine years ago.

Anyone else here have an SKS with the magazine conversion to take the standard AK-47 mags? I bought one before the Clinton assault rifle ban and have never seen another one. Just wondering who else may have one. I've been offered a pretty penny for it because for a time the European AK 30 rounds mags were cheap (like 3 for $8.00 at the show) before the ban went into effect. I bought a bunch of them. Anyone else remember a time when you could get Wolf 7.62x39 for $60.00 for 1200 rounds? NOT ANY MORE!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe the model is SKS-D and it is Chinese made. I have seen a few for sale but for more than what I would pay. I wish the ammo was that cheap. Now that would get you 240 Tulammo 7.62x39 for $60.00 plus tax at Wal-Mart which is the cheapest I have found. They always work and are accurate though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts