Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, gang . . . a question has rattled around my head this morning. I know that the Ruger LCP is a virtual exterior clone of the P32/P3AT; it's a touch heavier than the P3AT, IIRC. How close are the footprints of the P32/P3AT to the newest version of the LCP (the II)? I assume that the same holsters can be used?

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The original LCP was a copy of the P3at which is slightly larger than the P32. It's not much but you can tell when they are side by side. The holsters should work the exception might be the molded kydex depending on how tight they are.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The LCP II has a slightly wider grip and a different slide profile and either may cause issues with some holsters, but the big difference (for holsters) is the trigger guard shape.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The LCP II has a slightly wider grip and a different slide profile and either may cause issues with some holsters, but the big difference (for holsters) is the trigger guard shape.
Yes, the LCP II is a slightly larger gun than the LCP which is a slightly larger gun than the P32.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
FWIW, the holster that Desantis SAYS fits the LCP II actually does NOT fit it. I wound up using the leftover Superfly holster I had from a pistol before - can't remember if it was for a Diamondback DB9 (ugh, yes, I shamefully admit I owned one once :eek: ) or a Sig P938. The LCP II's trigger guard is shaped pretty weird compared to the original LCP and P32/P3AT. Also, the grip is MUCH thicker on the LCP II and, when loaded, it felt significantly heavier than a fully-loaded P32.

·
Registered
71 Posts
FWIW, the holster that Desantis SAYS fits the LCP II actually does NOT fit it. I wound up using the leftover Superfly holster I had from a pistol before - can't remember if it was for a Diamondback DB9 (ugh, yes, I shamefully admit I owned one once :eek: ) or a Sig P938. The LCP II's trigger guard is shaped pretty weird compared to the original LCP and P32/P3AT. Also, the grip is MUCH thicker on the LCP II and, when loaded, it felt significantly heavier than a fully-loaded P32.
The LCP II enroute from Kentucky Guns comes with a pocket holster. So Ruger is aware of the odd size of their new handgun.

Had Ruger not included the holster, I would have purchased the same Desantis that's meant for the Glock 42. That way I would have (2) Desantis on that order, for I also purchased the Glock 42 when ordering the LCP II.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I found the holster included with the LCP II to be fairly useless. I tried it for all of maybe 5 minutes and found that, time and time again, the holster wanted to come out of the pocket along with the pistol. That little band of not-really-tacky rubberized material they put around it doesn't do diddly for keeping the holster in your pocket, nor does that super-soft and floppy little "ear" sticking off the side that's supposed to catch on your pocket during the draw. So, you'll still wanna bank on investing in a better holster for that thing. Again, the Desantis Superfly has long been my go-to pocket holster of choice for these itty-bitty guns, mainly because of the Velcro removable/adjustable anti-print panel, but be aware that you're going to want to use a size larger than the one that Desantis says will fit the LCP II - order one for a DB9 or P938 and it'll fit MUCH better. The one they claimed was for the LCP II wouldn't even go in all the way and left the trigger partially exposed, and because the trigger guard itself is a bit wider, it wouldn't even begin to push into the ones I had that were specifically sized for the older LCP and P32/P3AT. (I wound up using the so-called "LCP II sized" Superfly for my blued P32, since it fits it nicely and covers just a tad bit more of the rust-prone slide.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
That new LCP II holster and pistol are going into my daughter's purse. That's how she will carry it. It'll probably see her bedroom night stand overnight.

Just received an email from Kentucky saying the two pistols have shipped and headed to my local neighborhood FFL Dealer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found the holster included with the LCP II to be fairly useless. I tried it for all of maybe 5 minutes and found that, time and time again, the holster wanted to come out of the pocket along with the pistol. That little band of not-really-tacky rubberized material they put around it doesn't do diddly for keeping the holster in your pocket, nor does that super-soft and floppy little "ear" sticking off the side that's supposed to catch on your pocket during the draw. So, you'll still wanna bank on investing in a better holster for that thing. Again, the Desantis Superfly has long been my go-to pocket holster of choice for these itty-bitty guns, mainly because of the Velcro removable/adjustable anti-print panel, but be aware that you're going to want to use a size larger than the one that Desantis says will fit the LCP II - order one for a DB9 or P938 and it'll fit MUCH better. The one they claimed was for the LCP II wouldn't even go in all the way and left the trigger partially exposed, and because the trigger guard itself is a bit wider, it wouldn't even begin to push into the ones I had that were specifically sized for the older LCP and P32/P3AT. (I wound up using the so-called "LCP II sized" Superfly for my blued P32, since it fits it nicely and covers just a tad bit more of the rust-prone slide.)
Okay, then . . . I currently have my P32 in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. It fits nicely in my pocket (though it's obvious that something is in my pocket when I carry it; but you don't know it's a gun) and, more importantly, stays in my pocket when I draw it. Would it fit the LCP II, or should I get a pocket holster specifically for the LCP II? Naturally, I want to make very sure that the trigger guard is covered.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the Desantis pocket holster (N38BJG3Z0) and it fits my TCP738 and P32 until I installed a laser but Desantis makes a holster for that too. Their website shows the same N38BJG3Z0 fits the LCP. These holsters are a bit more forgiving versus something like a hard-formed kydex holster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.