Sitting on the P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by keystoneman, Oct 29, 2009.

1. keystoneman

keystoneman New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    At the current time I carry my P3AT in my right front pocket - I understand a lot of people carry theirs in their rear pocket where the wallet would be (I understand its easy to grab from there if you are being "held up")

However I have a question - what affects does sitting on it have, any? What if you are sitting on a hard surface like concrete, bar stool, etc?

I by no means am fat but I am larger then some 6'1" 235 lbs and I worry that sitting on that little ol' P3AT will kill it ... ;D

Thoughts?

2. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I tried that way for awhile but gave it up because occasionally the mag release would get pressed and release the mag. I had filed the release button down some--maybe not enough. Maybe the right holster would prevent this The other problem was when I installed a laser sitting on it caused it to lose it's zero.

Your question referred to sitting on bar stools and maybe you were thinking of sitting somewhere besides an actual bar. For sure don't carry in a bar because I think that is prohibited everywhere.

3. keystoneman

keystoneman New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Thanks for the reply - interested in more replys.

I currently do not have a laser on it but that is good to note. My holster at the moment is a Uncle Mikes pocket holster.

4. DaveTec

DaveTec New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I don't like rear pocket carry due to the same reason I don't like a thick wallet back there. Makes my back hurt. Front pocket with a good pocket holster just seems a no brainer for me. I hadn't considered the laser misalignment either. Just reinforces my front pocket choice.

5. keystoneman

keystoneman New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    The other item I was considering was that I would be able to more easily retrieve my weapon with my non dominant hand from a back pocket as apposed to my front right pocket.

6. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
  7. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    RC, I remembered the thread, but not whos but did the testing. Thanks for retriving that.
    2 Points on rear pocket, 1 you can draw while sitting down. I almost always sit down when I drive.
    and 2, cut a little hole in the holster where the mag release button is, it will relive the presure on it. Like so:
    [​IMG]

FWIW, I was in the lgs the other day, and took out my p3 (after oking it w/ the guy behind the counter) and put the sig p238 in the same holster and put it back in the pocket. Fit a little snug, it would need it's own holster, but hit fit the pocket nicely, heavier though.

8. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I'm a bit bigger than you and have no problems in my K&D 2 in 1 holster after using it several years. I did the RC test(not by choice) , no ND ,no damage to the gun, but it did not feel good...

9. Dugger

Dugger New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    I have carried mine in the back pocket for about 6 months or more, I find it very comfortable, when I am driving it gets put in the crack between the seats or on the console with a rag over it to conceal, use a wallet holter that I made that looks like the one Bill gave the link to. Have not had a problem with the mag release.

10. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
  11. YSOCREUS

YSOCREUS New Member

Oct 28, 2009
    I'm not a "tight pants" kinda guy... so carrying the p3at in my right rear pocket is a natural thing. I use a pocket-sized piece of plastic, cut from a detergent bottle, to cove my pistol print when appropriate. More times than not though, I truly want the world to know I'm carrying! ;) And then I just clip it to my rear pocket. But in times of discretion... the plastic overlay works great! :) The front pocket wobbles when I walk, and although it's supposed to be more comforting than comfortable

12. jeeptherapy

jeeptherapy New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    I'm way bigger than that (330#) and have mine in a DeSantis SuperFly, with the CTLG, and put it in my back pocket everyday for the trip to work. Fridays & weekends I'm in Jeans & carry a larger weapon, but I've had the P3AT in the pocket for a couple years - no issues.

13. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    back pocket for me. been that way for four years. never had a problem and don't feel it. also i have a second mag in there also.

14. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    hey Frank,
    Just a quick thought. (for sake of argument, assume a right handed shooter) If you ever "really need" that second mag, you are going to have something in your right hand (p3 in need of ammo). Getting the second mag out of your back right pocket is not easy. I keep my spare mag in my front left pocket. I made a little leather holder that has 3 pockets, phone, mag, and small multi tool. This keeps the mag clean, upright, and I know where it is.
    Lop

15. Centurion3

Centurion3 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Here's a thread on the Elsie Pea Forum talkin' about this.  A little long but the last post might help you. http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4745.msg41348;topicseen#new

16. uniongap

uniongap New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Peachtree City, Ga
    I too am a fan of caring my p3at in my right hip pocket. Never have had a problem. I am 240 lbs and 5'11". I just added a Armalaser and thought that I would feel the difference with the extra surface and weight. I found after the first day I could not tell a difference. I have had it for about 2 months now and have gone to the range twice and the laser is still right on target. The holster that they send along with it stays in your pocket when you pull it out. It's a wonderful thing! :D

17. DaveTec

DaveTec New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I don't like it in my back pocket for the same reason I don't like a thick wallet back there. It will give you back problems over time.

I love cargo pants that have the pocket on the thigh. That with a Guru wallet holster seems to work best for me.