silencer on a p3at?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by anon45, Jan 3, 2011.

1. anon45

anon45 New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    as the subject says, does anyone make a silencer for a p3at? If I have to fire this in my house, I'd rather not have my kids myself and my wife go deaf. My hearing is bad enough as it is.

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Thanks JFB.

vRJs reply is succinct and to the point, there is no silencer made for the P3AT.

The biggest problem is the threaded barrel because of the thin wall and the pinch in the muzzle. This alone is pretty much a show stopper, there's no way to thread that pinch, someone would have to mill a whole new barrel long enough and thick enough to thread.

The next biggest hurdle is the suppressor itself. The .380 is, for all practical suppression purposes, a 9mm and while there are many 9mm suppressor choices out there the majority add too much weight to the muzzle for the P3AT to cycle properly. There are two micro cans that might be usable, the Thompson Poseidon and the DeGroat Nano.

DeGroat Tactical has successfully threaded a Sig P238, it has thicker barrel walls and no pinch in the muzzle. You can see the seam where the adapter is threaded on the barrel.
    http://armamentsales.sslpowered.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=36&pos=41

The Kahr 380 might be adaptable, I'm looking into that now but it's not promising since the barrel wall is thin on that gun as well.

3. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    That has been done with a P 11 and PF 9 , not sure how the reliability was. The weight of a can would affect the operation of the barrel lockup/cycling , I would assume  :-/

[​IMG]

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Thanks Burley, I keep forgetting about that news post. I'm assuming whole new barrels were milled for those pistols.

I'd really like to see the details on those threaded KT guns, I wish someone over at KT would post the details ... KTWM  ::)

The weight of the can affects the cycling of any tilt-barrel pistol so a Nielsen device has to be put between the barrel and the can to allow the barrel to unlock. On a pistol with a small cartridge like the .380 ACP I'm not sure a Nielsen device on a 8 oz can would be enough or the Nielsen spring would have to be silly weak that's why people opt for the "micro" cans on small pistols, the micro cans are generally under 4 oz.

The Thompson Poseidon cycles fine on all my threaded 9mm pistols although I had to put a 16lb spring in my P229 before it was  reliable. But I had a 9mm barrel made for that pistol which was originally chambered for .357 Sig so technically I should have swapped the spring when I swapped the barrel anyway but the gun was well broken in so it cycled 9mm without the Poseidon just fine and it also cycled fine with my Gemtech M.M using the Nielsen device.

A new link to the KelTec news section that holds that picture.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/3rd-quarter-news-2009-here-at-kel-tec

5. anon45

anon45 New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    to be clear, I"m not talking about something i'm going to fire at the range, or even fire for that matter, just would like to be prepared if I ever had to stop an intruder without deafening my whole family in the process.

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    then get a 9mm and silence that. there are many other options for bed side guns than a p3at.....

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    About 50 million American households own guns.  Relatively speaking, darn few folks have suppressors and they are not usually considered  necessary preparation for home defense.  In spite of how incredibly unlikely it is, if you ever have to shoot someone in your home, the sound of a gunshot and how it affects anyone will be the least of your concerns.  Besides, as was explained, the P3AT is a very bad candidate for a suppressor.

8. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    then get a 9mm and silence that.  there are many other options for bed side guns than a p3at.....[/quote]
    100% ... 9mm or .40S&W or .45ACP ... all hearing safe suppressible for the right amount of $$$, all better home defense weapons that punch bigger holes and have a higher capacity.

As far as that goes get a PDW/Bullpup and suppress that for home defense, nothing says get out of my house like 30 rounds of 7.62
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VivPz-Z0wAw[/ame]

Plus what TxC said.

I'm looking to adapt a .380 but for nothing more than a curiosity and a toy, it has absolutely no practical purpose whatsoever.

9. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    not as sexy but keeping a pair of these right next to your go-to gun would solve the problem:

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Impact-Management-Earmuffs/dp/B002D8UZS4

they actually work as hearing aids, making it easier to pick up faint noises, while protecting from harmful ones. i use them from dawn 'till dusk while deer hunting. :)

10. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Look at it this way, 45. The sound of the 1st round will scare the crap out of the BG and he'll hopefully disappear the same way he got in. If you do nail him, how you gonna hide the blood, guts, **** and crap that the kids will be stepping over to get ready for school?