Sights/lasers

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bpd371, Jun 28, 2008.

1. bpd371

bpd371 New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    I'm looking to imrpove the visibility of the sights on my p3at. Any ideas on what brand of paint to use? or should I just grab a CT laser?

2. DaveNC

DaveNC Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I used florescent red paint to highlight my sites but still found it wasn't quite enough so I went with the CT laser which I absolutely love. The switch to activate the laser is automatic when you grip the weapon which makes it effortless to use.

I'm 50 now so the laser makes target acquisition fast. I guess your age and experience with a pistol will determine the choice of your sites. I'm used to having quick target acquisition with younger eyes so the laser gives me that advantage back again. I'm not to happy with the aging process right now. Not that it makes any different since I'm going to continue growing older. Dammit.

3. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I have no experience with the CT laser on a KelTec but my family has 4 armalasers in use and we are very satisfied with them. We have 4 Crimson Trace lasers on our J frame revolvers and also like them very much.

Lasers have many advantages especially for old eyes.

4. bpd371

bpd371 New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    thanks for the info. I've thought about the armalaser but theres two things I dont like about it, 1: from my understanding, you're finger must be INSIDE the trigger guard to activate it. (pls correct me if ive been misinformed) and 2: the size. off-duty, i wear the p3at inside my pants and it would protrude too much i think.

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Because you asked, you are wrong. The armalaser comes on by touching the shell of the laser OUTSIDE the trigger guard. There are A LOT of threads on this even in the last month here on ktog. Lots of info to find using search.

And how would it protrude too much? It doesn't change the over all envelope of the weapon, just squares it up which is usually a good thing as far as printing is concerned.

-Scott (who has had Armalaser, CT and Lasermax and the only one I really LIKE is Armalaser)

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I use white paint on my blued P3AT. Kinda a vertical bar on the rear sight and a dot of paint on the front sight. You "dot" the "I" to get your sight picture. This being said I do very little practice sighting this way with my carry handguns (2 P3Ats and Glock 26). Most of my practice is close threat/target focused point and shoot.

Sooo... IMHO a laser for your P3AT would serve you better, in scenarios where you'd most likely have to use your P3AT, than painted P3AT sights.

Take care (and thank you for your service)...

7. bpd371

bpd371 New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Because you asked,  you are wrong.  The armalaser comes on by touching the shell of the laser OUTSIDE the trigger guard.  There are A LOT of threads on this even in the last month here on ktog.  Lots of info to find using search.    

And how would it protrude too much?  It doesn't change the over all envelope of the weapon, just squares it up which is usually a good thing as far as printing is concerned.

-Scott (who has had Armalaser, CT and Lasermax and the only one I really LIKE is Armalaser)[/quote]

Thanks for setting me straight Scott! BTW, I joined ktog yesterday so as I'm sure you can imagine, I haven't had too much time to browse the site. As far as the squaring of the weapon that you mentioned above, in my case and in the way I personally carry the weapon, it would not be a good thing and it would actually increase the visibility of the pistol because of the print that would undoubtedly be visible. Thanks all for feedback, it is appreciated. ;D

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    No excuse for sleeping or working since joining the group. You should have it all read by now ;)

-Scott