Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the iron sights on my new "CA" , quick target aquisition out to about 50 yards, but if I want to shoot a tootsie roll pop off its stick at 100 yards I'm going to need to put some glass on this thing...now here's the problem..

I want to retain the use of my iron sights even with a scope on, so I'm thinking about a see through riser on my rail..something like this..

Anyone do this type of thing? Did it work? Got any pictures?

Thanks..

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
This has been asked a thousand times over. Long story short, you can't have your cake and eat it too! If you raise the optics up high enough to be able to use the irons, your cheek weld won't be very good for either one. I would choose good optics and leave the irons alone, but thats just me.

Bam Bam

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And thats definetly an option..just exploring options right now...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting concept..to mount a scope would be $80 + though..but an option..thanks..

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
A.O. Bottom line is what you feel comfortable with. There are cheekrests made for about 90% all adjustable stocks. Therefore a simple see-thru scope mount, not fancy like your pic, two ring mounts with a pass thru which would give a better eye relief than the tunnel vision you'd get with your example.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A.O. Bottom line is what you feel comfortable with. There are cheekrests made for about 90% all adjustable stocks. Therefore a simple see-thru scope mount, not fancy like your pic, two ring mounts with a pass thru which would give a better eye relief than the tunnel vision you'd get with your example.
If I can find see through rings that dont block the very low line of sight the stock sights have...and that would work also if I can find them..

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yep, no problem what so ever. Now hitting the target... that's another story. Hehehe....

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was kind of leaning that way to start, might get one and put it on just to see how the sight picture is..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, since we're on the sight topic. I have a somewhat related question. I recently picked up an SU-16CA, but it was missing the rear sight. Owner just plain lost it. Its scoped with a Pentax Pioneer 3x9x40 scope and has the KelTec shortened forend. My question is will a low profile riser + replacing the Kel-Tec sights with something like the Magpul MBUS Sight Set work? My plan is to eventually replace the current scope with a compact scope that will allow disassembly without scope removal, and new upgraded sights for when I go sans scope.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, what I did for now was to order a pair of these see through rings, I can mount them along with one of my basic scopes I have and see how the cheek weld is and how well I can see with the scope and the BUIS and go from there..they were only 10 bucks shipped from fleabay...just a cheap experiment for now.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
It seems like that'd work for me, but another member used your first example and just moved the rear sight in front of the see-thru.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It seems like that'd work for me, but another member used your first example and just moved the rear sight in front of the see-thru.
Yeah, that would shorten the sight radius by 5 inches though...And I'm thinking a peep that far forward would not be ideal either...

·
Registered
401 Posts
if all you wanna do is raise your scope above the rail and have a 'tunnel' to sight thru, go to your local WallyWorld and buy a pair of Leupold high scope mounts, they're cheap and do the job.
bob

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah, that would shorten the sight radius by 5 inches though...And I'm thinking a peep that far forward would not be ideal either...
I used a 1 piece riser and put the peep in front of it. I found the peep "washed out" too much for me, even without the riser on there. It might be my eyes... anyway, with the optic in place I would only be using irons for under 25 yard shots ( they shoot to poa at 20 yards now and I didn't even adjust them after I moved them) I'm running a bushnell trophy 1.75-4x zeroed at 100y and it covers 25 to 100 well enough to hit clay pigeons anywhere inbetween. I feel like the su is a minute of badguy rifle anyway, so I'm happy... but I'm an AK fan, so decent accuracy is good enough for me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I added that 3/4 inch riser posted at the top of page 1. It works fine for me - I have a neat little Bushnell TRS-25 red dot mounted above the iron sights. Since the red dot is so compact and parallax is a non-issue - I don't have any problems with it being "too high".

I can see where magnified optics with limited eye relief would cause problems, especially powerful 30 mm scopes.

I actually find the iron sights to be a wee bit low..... I don't plan to permanently mount any magnified scope on my Charlie - for that sort of shooting I grab my heavy barreled .223 bolt gun.

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I added that 3/4 inch riser posted at the top of page 1. It works fine for me - I have a neat little Bushnell TRS-25 red dot mounted above the iron sights. Since the red dot is so compact and parallax is a non-issue - I don't have any problems with it being "too high".

I can see where magnified optics with limited eye relief would cause problems, especially powerful 30 mm scopes.

I actually find the iron sights to be a wee bit low.....

John Davies
Spokane WA
I agree the irons are a bit low, which I'm thinking will make it easier to not have a scope to high...we'll see..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, since we're on the sight topic. I have a somewhat related question. I recently picked up an SU-16CA, but it was missing the rear sight. Owner just plain lost it. Its scoped with a Pentax Pioneer 3x9x40 scope and has the KelTec shortened forend. My question is will a low profile riser + replacing the Kel-Tec sights with something like the Magpul MBUS Sight Set work? My plan is to eventually replace the current scope with a compact scope that will allow disassembly without scope removal, and new upgraded sights for when I go sans scope.
This is to Updgrader - The factory rear sight is 2.97and includes shipping. It's on the Kel Tec web site under SU-16 parts. Since sight height between front & rear is critical, I'd buy the cheap replacement & spend the 80.00 towards the optics you want. Just my humble opinion :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts