Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is already a post about this, I couldn't find it. So apologies if necessary.
I only have access to a 25 yd. range. So, where on the target should I sight in for 50 and 100 yds.

·
Registered
750 Posts
To plug in the numbers in a ballistic program you need the velocity of the bullet, weight, and bal' coefficient or just use one of the standards and call it good. You'll also need the distance from the CL of the bore to the CL of the sight. You might need more but that's what I remember off the top of my head. But it will still only be a guess since actually shooting at 100 yards is the way to check. Being off a little at 25 yards = being off much more at 100.

Ballistic calculators are found online (or you can buy one). Just use "online ballistic calculator" as the search term.

·
Super Moderator
17,769 Posts
The manual states a 20 yard zero is 2" high at 50 and coming back down to zero at 100. So either sight it in at 20 or shoot for very slightly high at 25. 9mm and 40 S&W are close enough to each other ballistically it won't make a difference, and this thing should never be considered a tack driver.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
So, where on the target should I sight in for 50 and 100 yds.
Don't. keep it a close range weapon.
What kind of optic do you plan on using for 100 yards? It won't be SHTF ready.
I know I'm being a jerk, but I think you're thinking of this PCC as more capable that it can deliver. Yes, you can hit 100, but achieving that isn't SHTF.
Think Zombieland.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I know I'm being a jerk, but I think you're thinking of this PCC as more capable that it can deliver. Yes, you can hit 100, but achieving that isn't SHTF.
Think Zombieland.
But I like my odds against the zombies with three 33 round mags and my PMR30 with a few 30's.

·
Administrator
32,037 Posts
Reactions: 3wbdriver

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use my sub2k for steel challenge type shooting and it's great for that. Fast close shooting. I have also shot it off a bench with bags and can hit a 12" plate at a 170 yds most of the time. I have a green dot sight on it. The gun is capable of good 100 to 200 yd hits. Don't know what kind of accuracy I could get with a scope, but I expect better than with the gds. If I was expecting to be shooting over 100 yds I have other rifles that are better suited for that, but if all I had I would be comfortable using my sub2k.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The problem isn't hitting but as I see it more of a what will it do when it gets there at distance. All SD type pistol cartridges use really terrible bullets ballistically speaking. They start out slowish and slow down really fast from there, and speed is energy. They just are NOT long distance cartridges. Would I shoot a deer with say a 9mm and expect to kill it? Maybe if I picked my shot and was within bow and arrow range. Any further than that I wouldn't even try. Could I piss someone off with a 100 yard shot? Yup. Might actually persuade him to stay away too. But a stopping shot would be pure luck. (aim small miss small)

OK, I went through this thought process with another cartridge flinging a 125gr .30 bullet at 2000 fps. That's much more than a 9mm will do. I came up with the same requirements for that but the distance was a bit more and the bullets ballistic coefficient was MUCH better. The firearm in question is also a tack driver to insure proper bullet placement.

I agree with silver rings. I used my S2k in competition where the targets were never further than 35 yards and it was great for that. For me that translates into zombies at close range. Beyond that it's best to hide and get away which would be the best course of action anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The manual states a 20 yard zero is 2" high at 50 and coming back down to zero at 100. So either sight it in at 20 or shoot for very slightly high at 25. 9mm and 40 S&W are close enough to each other ballistically it won't make a difference, and this thing should never be considered a tack driver.
Thank You!
Think Zombieland.
I doubt that I will be using it at over 50 yds. If the zombies get any closer than 25 yds. I will be shooting and running!!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
<snip> I doubt that I will be using it at over 50 yds. If the zombies get any closer than 25 yds. I will be shooting and running!!!
Or just stand your ground and learn to shoot fast with no misses. Yes, it can be done. 5 Zombie head shots in under 3 seconds is doable @ 25 yards and closer. But the better course of action is to never engage at all if that's possible. 50 yards can still be too close with some zombies. Lots of people have far more faith in 9mm, on the receiving end, than I do. Putting a hole in something is not the same as stopping the target, for various reasons, and stopping the actions of the target is the goal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am too old to shoot like that. But the best thing about your average zombie (some movies notwithstanding), is that they are "SLOW"!

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I am too old to shoot like that. But the best thing about your average zombie (some movies notwithstanding), is that they are "SLOW"!
Zombie movies in the 50's were slow.
Modern zombies are suprisingly quick, especially the ambush ones, if they're smart enough to employ any strategy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't realize that they had become faster. I thought that it was because I was slowing down in my old age. I'm fairly certain that there are still a few slow zombies around here that I grew up with. I officially declare this area as a "Fast Zombie Exclusionary Zone".

·
Registered
429 Posts
The threat of zombies is the reason I only practice head shots. I keep a few silver bullets for vampires, but you can hit them anywhere, especially if coated with garlic juice.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I noticed the Eurozombie strain to be the ones that first ran faster, while the NA zombies still moved slowly. Frankly I preferred the NA strain.

Bookman, c'mon, I'm a senior citizen and I can do it. I bet you can too with practice. Shooting Steel Challenge teaches it and it's huge fun at the same time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts