Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my P-11 to the ranger a couple times and with different people, so I know it is not me, but find that the sights are not straight?. When aligned the gun shoots low on the target. If the front sight is higher then POA and POI good. I read on another post about pushing down on the front sight but there is no more room. I thought about elevating the back sight but only seem to be set up for windage.

Now the question:

Is there a way to properly have the sights aligned? Do I have to modify something or should I just call Kel-Tec?

·
Registered
84 Posts
All of my Kel Tec's hit POA. If you are sure you are not pulling down durring long trigger pull you can try the sight kit sold on kel tec site.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I Like the isoceles stance with both eyes open on target,Works well and we were trained that way by our Dept..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't bother with the sight kit, Won't work, Many P11s just shoot low, mine included--lots of earlier posts on this topic. Just raise your point of aim--change your sight picture to the pyramid (triangle).

·
Registered
54 Posts
@hstrawn

How could getting a taller rear sight, short front sight or both not help, assuming all other things are equal?

How much is it shooting low, from how far, and what is the weight of your projectile, all these can play in.

My P-11, if I "stage" the trigger is perfect. If I just pull through like I normally would in a defensive situation, I'm normally putting rounds a small but lower, but that is shooter error not the firearm.

First I would get on a table with a sand bag and really concentrate, and see if it really is the pistol. If it is, but by a small amount sights and ammo change can help.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Mine has shot low the last few times I took it out. Been meaning to try a different "pyramid" sight picture like mentioned above to see if that helps before ordering a sight kit.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I've use the pyramid sight picture for a number of years with good results out to 15 yards or so. I've found it's the best sight picture for me with my P-11.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
It's just a hard habit to break into.
I couldn’t get used to the triangle sight picture either.
I filled in the rear notch with JB weld, sanded it even and painted it black.
Then I painted on a straight white line so the sight would be more like a bar/dot XS type sight.

Here’s a crude example pic for your amusement.

View attachment 3180

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
It worked well for me...no biggie if ya screw it up....replacement sights @ KT are cheap.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Another old trick (along the same lines as Rubb's fix) is to simply file down the front sight until the front blade (or the top of the slide :)) lines up properly, then repaint the front dot.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I've never been one to modify my sights a whole lot. I just learn either where the gun shoots or where I tend to make the gun shoot, and then adjust my aim accordingly. Fortunately, with both my SW9VE and my P11, I tend to shoot them the same way (mostly left and a little low), so I just aim a tad to the right and cover the target with the front sight dot and it works for me.

I know the proper thing to do is to refine my trigger technique and all that, but I'm not a competition shooter and I prefer to shoot by natural feel, since that's really what you'll revert to when under stress ... well, unless you can afford to really train as intensely and as frequently as necessary to really make ideal combat aiming second-nature (and I'm just a poor ol' broke dude, so that ain't me).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts