Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I feel a little dumb asking this, but I'm trying to figure out the appropriate riser height for my sights. I have a C-More RTS-2 and the dot is just way too low. I got my face smooshed up against the stock trying to get a decent sight picture, and plenty of bruising as a result. Been lurking on the forums for a while... I see that I'm not the only person with this problem. Thing is, risers range from low-profile to 1", and I have no idea what would help vs what would be overkill.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you already have iron sights installed? If so, you can measure the height difference between the tip of the sight post and the center or lower-third of the glass on your red dot, depending on exactly where you want it to co-witness. Whatever that height difference is, that's the size riser you would buy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you already have iron sights installed? If so, you can measure the height difference between the tip of the sight post and the center or lower-third of the glass on your red dot, depending on exactly where you want it to co-witness. Whatever that height difference is, that's the size riser you would buy.
I don't have iron sights yet, but I'm guessing the MBUS 2 is tall enough without a riser, since that seems to be what most folks use? TBH I was hesitant to pick up another set of sights, iron or otherwise 'cause I thought I might run into the same height issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tl;dr - got ****ty BUIS, but it all worked out in the end.

So I got some ProMags BUIS (they only had FSP for Magpul, so I figured what the heck), and a riser from the LGS. Got home, mounted the BUIS and riser. Front went on okay, but installing the rear sucked. Upon further inspection, the mating bits for the rail looked hella sketchy, and a bit crooked to boot. Installed the red dot on the riser and gave it a look, appeared to be the correct height. Just eyeballing it with the BUIS, I lined the dot up, then removed the sight and went to the range to do a proper zero with the BUIS. Shot a pretty nice 1st group, adjusted the rear sight to walk it over to center, which led to a nice 2nd group... and that's when the sadness started. In my excitement I forgot to grab a FSP adjustment tool, so I figured "what the heck, we used to just get by with whatever most times in the Army", so I tried to adjust the post with my multitool. Damn spring was super hard to depress, and it was a PITA to turn. After managing to turn it a whole 2 clicks, I gave up and asked someone else on the range to borrow their tool. Thing was made of plastic, and no match for the mighty FSP... snapped 2 of the teeth right off the damn tool, felt like a total ass handing it back to the guy. So now I'm like ****, I can't adjust the FSP now, and I still have tons to shoot. On a whim, I took the BUIS off, threw the red dot back on, fired a group just a wee bit to the left of center, adjusted it and shot beautifully for the rest of the day. I'll be returning those crummy polymer BUIS and getting Magpuls soon.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Wow. Got three sets of BUIS, on ARs. Been dropped, stuck in the bed of the Ranger, roughed up, manhandled, and generally abused and came up with a s#!T eatin' grin on their faces. Sorry you had issues.:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.