Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
It's a great feeling handgun. We had several at the exchange when I worked there. My one problem with it - and it's a personal one - is the trigger is very short and very light for a striker fired pistol.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
WOO! Well, at least it's not just an updated Beretta. The P320 is a pretty nice gun, really - I kinda have an urge to try one out sometime, myself - and from what I've seen, it retails a tad bit cheaper than Berettas or Gen4 Glocks, so per-unit cost might have been a motivating factor there, too. Thing I'm wondering is, are they going to fit them with a manual safety lever? Or are they just going to depend upon training guys to carry Condition 3 (chamber empty/"Israeli carry") to keep some of the inexperienced grunts from having negligent discharges? I mean, last I looked, the P320 doesn't have the "scissor" like trigger doohickey, a-la Glock, nor a hinged trigger, a-la M&P, and that trigger is fairly light and short, sooooo ... put that in the hands of a young n' naive 18-year-old recruit who's maybe never handled or fired a pistol in his life before boot camp, and ... wellllllll, bad things can happen. :(

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Aaaaaand I was reading elsewhere that the Army has decided to stick with 9mm as their caliber of choice for their new sidearm, although I do also recall there being mention that they were going to go with JHP's now (at least with their pistols). Assuming they use Sig V-Crown JHP's - wasn't that part of the deal? The manufacturer had to be able to produce both the firearms AND the ammo for them? - then this is overall a pretty nifty upgrade over the current Beretta M9's with FMJ's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Eh, full disclosure, I'm a big Beretta fan. Never had a problem with the M9 and it's variants.

Since/if the Army is sticking with 9mm. Going to a whole new firearm is questionable in my opinion. They should have just stuck with the M9 or to the A3. But I'm sure the P320 is a solid gun.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Eh, full disclosure, I'm a big Beretta fan. Never had a problem with the M9 and it's variants.

Since/if the Army is sticking with 9mm. Going to a whole new firearm is questionable in my opinion. They should have just stuck with the M9 or to the A3. But I'm sure the P320 is a solid gun.
Considering that they're going to get the new P320's for just over $200 per gun, it's probably cheaper to just buy a whole new lot than it would be to recondition/rebuild all of their old 30-year-old, beat-to-death M9's.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've had my P320 Compact for a little over a year, and have carried it most of that time as well. I love it, and am really excited at the prospect of the Army picking it up, hopefully it means that accessories will get a little easier to come by. So far, accessories have been a little in short supply, but definitely improving...

Also pretty excited at the thought of really cheap surplus M9's... :p

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Indeed. It's pretty much impossible right now to find a darned subcompact grip frame anywhere for the P320, especially a black one - all I've managed to find are icky colors like phlegm green and baby-fecal brown ... er, I mean OD green and FDE. :D

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
I've had my P320 Compact for a little over a year, and have carried it most of that time as well. I love it, and am really excited at the prospect of the Army picking it up, hopefully it means that accessories will get a little easier to come by. So far, accessories have been a little in short supply, but definitely improving...
I heard an interview on a podcast which suggests that the Contract version of the SIG may have some important differences when contrasted to the civvie version.

I'll try to find the link for you.

[Edit]
http://firearmsradio.tv/handgun-rad...un-contract-new-selection-with-daniel-watters

Also pretty excited at the thought of really cheap surplus M9's... :p
Like all those cheap surplus 1911's and wheelies when the M9 was adopted?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
7,092 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Just saw on another Forum that DHS ICE just picked up the 320 as well to replace their aging stock of P229 DAK's.

Now maybe the USCG will follow and dump our 229DAK's as well. Those DAK trigger are absolute crap, and I honestly do not know a single person that can shoot them worth a damn.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Yup, ICE adopted the P320 as well, specifically in 9mm. The article I read on the DHS site at work stated that there was a "negligible" difference between 9mm and .40 S&W in terms of terminal ballistics with regards to the types of incidents that their agents encounter. Also, the issues of ammo costs and recoil were cited. The agents I work with seem to almost universally despise their current Sig P229 DAK's because the long, heavy DAO trigger is tough for many of them to master, and a lot of them were doing cartwheels when ICE approved the Glock 19 and G43 for duty use (those are not issued pistols, but agents can buy their own and carry them). So far, at least half of the agents I've talked to seem kinda "meh" towards the P320, mostly because they automatically associate the P320 with their current Sigs, even though they're completely different creatures by design; the other half are happy because it's a definite improvement, at least in trigger and ergonomics (and I suppose weight), over the P229, although a couple grumbled about "downgrading" to 9mm because they're still convinced that .40 S&W is the bee's knees. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, us lowly contractor scum are stuck with the M&P40, which to be honest isn't bad - as far as .40's go, the recoil is actually pretty mild, and it just plain works - but not many folks I work with have a lot to complain about with that platform, aside from the mushy trigger and the tendency for the slide to release itself when you ram a mag in with authority. (More than a few times, I've racked out a live round by working the slide out of habit after inserting a mag.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.