Should I wait for a SU-22 or get a GSG-5??

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by Isaac_glass, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Isaac_glass

Isaac_glass New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    I havent seen any SU-22 but my local GS has two of these in stock for $489 each

[​IMG]

2. Whodat

Whodat New Member

Jun 20, 2008

3. Isaac_glass

Isaac_glass New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    I've been looking for one since Nov locally. Im in California ordering online and having it shipped to a FFL dealer around here will cost me an extra $100 processing fee and that would come to $469.95 which puts it in the same pricing range as GSG-5. And from reading the all these threads the SU-22 seems to be a low inventory item, unless someone here has the inside word from KT they will be shipping very soon, why wait for something that's only a probability. By the way, local Gun Shop I frequent tells me KT has no inventory. 

4. Whodat

Whodat New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    I see said the blind man. Well go for it :). There are 7 in stock at the link I gave you. I recently purchase one from another dealer in Ohio and had it FFL to Texas. My total cost was $420. Nice little rifle. I have put around 500 rounds thru it with no problems. Good luck.

5. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    What's the $100 extra processing fee?

Your local dealer probably has no idea what Kel-Tec's manufacturing schedule looks like. He was probably referring to the inventory at the distributor, not the manufacturer.

They're out there, and Kel-Tec continues to ship more. The link provided earlier in the thread was a good example.

I bought one of the first batch of 100 back in August and paid $327.14 out the door, including the 6% sales tax. If you want one, I'd think you could get one. I hear the GSG is very nice too.

6. Isaac_glass

Isaac_glass New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Most FFL around here in SF charges anywhere from $75-100, GSG-5 are nice but KT's warranty is hard to beat, hands down the best in the industry.
    The same store I bought my SU-16CA told me to check back last week of April, and this guy can usually get almost any firearms. Didnt sound right
    so I wanted to chime in on the group here to see if you guys have any insight as to why it's so hard to come by one. I was so confident I would
    find one I've already order a pistol grip kit for it  :-/ But thanks for sharing guys!

7. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    $75 to $100 for an FFL seems like robbery. They're $20 many places around here, but the LGS closest to me is $10.

I thought $20 was pricey for handing someone a form, coming back in five minutes, making a phone call and filing the paper. I know they need to make a profit and they have a store front with all of the overhead costs, and they may figure an FFL transfer is a lost gun sale, but I figure if they had reasonable prices and availability, their customers wouldn't be ordering online and paying shipping and the FFL fee, so their jacked up FFL fee seems like an alternative to their jacked up gun costs. Sorry you don't have better gun stores.

This is another reason not to have the FFL requirement that interferes with the free market and allows all dealers in an area to collude to take advantage of their customers.

8. tqtran

tqtran New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Not really. I recently had to decide on a PLR-22 or a GSG-5PK.
    I went with the GSG because I wanted a PWD size .22LR.
    I also really wanted MP5 Clone, so I got the GSG5.

Soon after, I found out that I have to buy an additional $50 worth of replacement screws and take down pins for the GSG5.
    The stock screws and and pins are so weak that they will either strip or break after your first field strip.
    So keep in mind that you WILL have to spend an additional $50 on screws and pins if you buy the GSG.
    That is something every GSG owner learns.

If money were an issue, I would have gone with the PLR.
    Since it wasn't I went with the GSG.
    That is the same advice I will give you.

9. Billy_B_A

Billy_B_A Banned

Apr 18, 2009
    im going the gsg-5 way myself , they have a forum for them on ar15 something ? and look sweeet !! on the "other guns" thread on ktog , a mod there has hooked me up with some killer sites to pimp it out with - alot lot lot of cool things can be added to dress them up with ? :eek:

10. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Huh?  There are many pics here, and I have field stripped mine in grass patches, the range, the work bench, and never stripped or broken a screw.....

i use the orange screwdriver, as the screws are NOT phillips......and do require the screwdriver...but have never broken a screw in the hundreds of times I have taken it apart....

11. Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Hey Isaac

I just bought a GSG-5 cause I couldn't stand waiting to find a SU22. I pick it up Tuesday. Although it might be nice to have a matching set of SU's I just couldn't wait. Besides the GSG is a really cool and fun rifle.

12. maddcat1

maddcat1 New Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I had a GSG-5 rifle and had nothing but problems with it. I was lucky enough to find an SU-22 and put it on hold. The GSG-5 rifle was a fun plinker but it had issues so I had to let it go.