Should I tinker?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rjwiggall, Aug 1, 2009.

1. rjwiggall

rjwiggall New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    My P3 seems to work fine. It doesn't have any outstanding wear spots that I've noticed, it seems to function well, but I still wonder if I should tinker with it. The only complaint I have with it is that when I'm cocking the gun (to put the first round into the chamber), it almost always hesitates for 1-2 seconds to snap forward. It just makes me wonder. It doesn't have any jamming while firing at the range and the only FTE I've seen was when my brother-n-law hit the eject mag button while he was shooting. Do I have anything to worry about? Should I polish the feed ramp, etc? I keep reading about it, but I don't know if it's something I should mess with. To tinker or not to tinker.... :-?

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    When racking the slide for the first round, let it sling shot. Pull it back and let it fly, the slide will snap it right in. That's what everyone around here says and it works.

Rick

3. rjwiggall

rjwiggall New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    The funny thing is, I read that somewhere on the forum and have tried it and it still hesitates. when I slingshot it back it catches right when it wants to jump forward. Maybe it's the hollow points I'm using? "Remington UMC 88 gr. jacketed hollow point"?

4. drg-racr

drg-racr New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    If you are letting the slide snap shut and it still hangs up for a second or two I would just give the feed ramp a slight polish. Just use some chrome cleaner and a dremmel with a felt wheel about 5/16 or 3/8 in diameter and give it a quick polish. It is amazing how good of a finish you can get like this...and it wont really remove any material.

5. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    The delay before returning to battery is pretty normal. Just give the slide a tap forward with the palm of your hand. I wouldn't worry about that unless it happens as you are shooting it. In any case I say tinker away.

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    The force exerted by a firing round is much more than you can simulate with your hand. it is a non-issue and I suggest you do not think about it or tinker where a problem is NON EXISTENT

however, it IS ULTIMATELY your gun. do with it what you want.

YMMV.

7. JKMprof

JKMprof New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    To tinker or not to tinker...that is the question.

Tinker.

Why not? Polish it up and see if it helps. It cant hurt.
    Mine had the same issue, a new set of recoil springs cured it.

8. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Be sure the slide rails have light weight grease.

9. scotthsi

scotthsi New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Since it's reliable when actually firing...leave it alone! The more you shoot it the more polished that feed ramp will become. I'd only mess with it if it hangs up when actually shooting it.

10. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    How many rounds do you have through it ?

11. rjwiggall

rjwiggall New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Knowing the guy that had it before me, I'd say 300-400 minimum.

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    As has been said, so long as it cycles properly when fired, you have no problem and this is not terribly uncommon.  However, a bit of polishing can only help.  Anything that reduces friction between the mating metal parts is good and no amount of shooting will get them as smooth as polishing.  A decent fluff & buff would include the chamber, feed ramp, hammer interface bar, slide rails and barrel lugs.  None of this requires more than field stripping the gun.  You can polish everything with 400-600 grit and leave it alone. Better yet, follow up with 800-1000 grit for a really smooth working pistol.  Some folks even follow that with a felt-tip bob on a dremel and some polishing compound, although that is hardly necessary.
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

As was mentioned, good lubrication is very important with a gun that has such a lightweight slide.
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm