Should I reload for my new P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RZombie, May 9, 2010.

1. RZombie

RZombie New Member

May 6, 2010
    Howdy all.
    Proud owner of a brand new P3AT here.
    I was wondering if anyone reloads for their .380? What with the price of ammo these days as well as the .380 in particular being so hard to find at times.
    All I would need is a set of dies, I already have a reloading bench set up. I was just looking for some input as to the Kel-Tec and how well does it like or dislike reloads before buying another set of dies.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    RZ

2. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I started reloading for my P3AT almost a year ago because I couldn't find .380 ammo for less than $39.95/50 locally and I refused to pay it.

I reload with Berry's 100 grain RN plated bullets and use 2.8 grains of unique OAL 0.955". No muzzle flash, no smoke, no problems of any kind, just a nice soft shooting load. I haven't chrono'ed it but it feels lighter than WWB ammo and is thus more fun to shoot at the range.

3. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I reload for the P3AT in bullet weights between 90 and 115 grains and so far it's done well with all of the bullet weights. I like reloading because I can use light loads for practice plinking or crank them up for more serious practice to simulate self defense loads. I load keep an eye out though for "guppy belly" bulges in the unsupported areas around the feed ramp cut. It's usually an indicator that a load is too hot for sustained use.

Best Wishes:

4. liveoakfisher

liveoakfisher New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Best way to go. Many more bangs for your bucks.