Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a 'basic' fluff and buff to my P3AT just using 400 grit sandpaper and a jewlers file on the slide, ramp and hammer. Didn't really pollish anything.

After 200 rounds, no fte's or ftf's. As the old saying goes... if it aint broke don't fix it. I'm hesitant to do any more to it with polishing etc. I would like to do some trigger work though. There is just a 'hint' of peening but nothing to worry about.

Any thoughts on this? If I do, will it improve accuracy/reliability?

Thanks,
Bit

·
Registered
585 Posts
Bitswap said:
I have done a 'basic' fluff and buff to my P3AT just using 400 grit sandpaper and a jewlers file on the slide, ramp and hammer. Didn't really pollish anything.

After 200 rounds, no fte's or ftf's. As the old saying goes... if it aint broke don't fix it. I'm hesitant to do any more to it with polishing etc. I would like to do some trigger work though. There is just a 'hint' of peening but nothing to worry about.

Thanks,
Bit
Hey Bit!

Welcome to KTOG. It sounds like your new P-3AT is working well, so letting any addtional polishing take place as the gun continues to wear is a good choice.

The trigger in the P-3AT is arguably the best that Kel-Tec offers in any of their pistols. It seems likely that you will get better results by spending your time practicing at the range rather than fiddling with the pistol parts.

In my experience, practicing with a set of good quality, metal snap caps, like the AZoom offerings, will also help you overcome flinching that you don't otherwise notice and learn what to expect when while pulling the trigger.

Still, at least for me, the secret to confidence inspiring accuracy was at least 500 rounds of target practice at the Pima Pistol Club with real targets and frequent cleanings.

TucsonMTB . . . who is very happy with both his P-3AT's

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Bitswap said:

After 200 rounds, no fte's or ftf's. As the old saying goes... if it aint broke don't fix it. I'm hesitant to do any more to it with polishing etc.
Quit while you're ahead. More F&B won't make it more accurate and you can't improve on the reliability that you've had.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
With it being flawless and having a slight peen I would highly recommend polishing the guide rod to a shiny finish with a dremel buffing pad and compound.

My 2 bits (pun intended ;D)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I figured as much but wanted to be sure. VERY happy with the P3AT.

I put a finger extender on it and made a big difference in accuracy as did a shooting (golf) glove. I'm still shooting low and to the left at times if I'm not careful. I find the standard sights more accurate than the laser so far, not sure why. Guess the laser dot showing my unsteadiness is distracting me. Hits around the bull are averaging 1.5 inches at five yards... practice, practice, practice. Then I'll get one five inches+ lower left.

Polishing the guide rod will help with the peening? I don't understand how yet, but will research it. I guess so the springs don't hang on it somehow.

Laters,
Bit

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
If you run your fingernail down the guide rod length wise it will feel a little like a file, it's believed that this eats away at the guide rod hole causing peen :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice Rubb!

Yes, even though I did hit it with 400 grit, there are still ridges in it. Thanks for the advice!

Wonder if I should get some of those washers for sale here... ???

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Take a look at the thickness of the slide at the guide rod hole, if it's as this as a dime or thinner i'd say yes, mine is about as thick as a quarter and my slight peen has never gotten worse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Rubb,

It's definatly thinner than a quarter. I guess I have a choice to make now.

1) leave it alone

2) buy some nylon washers

3) make an alumium washer

This could so easily be solved my KT by not milling so deep.

I have lots of alumium and my lathe wants some attention. Guess 1/8" above the bevel should do it.

Wait...

Wouldn't a stronger 'outside' spring surfice? Wolff? Looks like the inside spring is causing the peening.

·
Registered
8,993 Posts
Rubb said:
If you run your fingernail down the guide rod length wise it will feel a little like a file, it's believed that this eats away at the guide rod hole causing peen :D
Nope, it causes a ridge to be built up but that is NOT peening.  It is faux peening.

Real peening is caused by the spring stack pushing the end of the slide outward at the guide rod hole.

The faux peening is a different issue.  Polish the guide rod til it's smooth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.