Should I buy the P-3AT too?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by MoonDoggy, Jul 22, 2008.

1. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Beyond the obvious answer of "yes", "of course", "why not", etc........

I bought a P-11 recently and love it!  I carry it in my front shorts pocket with no issues but my local shop had a P-3AT there today and I was totally blown away by the size and ease of handling (he usually can't keep them in stock, so this is the first time that I got to play with one).

I know a lot of you guys have multiple Kel Tecs of all shapes, sizes, etc and just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has been in my position before or had a similar "wow" moment.  Price is $269 w/2 mags.

Thanks!!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I think you have already contimplated the reasons to get it. the only negative reason I could think of would be funds availability ;)

3. indyjoe

indyjoe New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    I'd say jump on it.  The best price in town I could find was $239 + $22 or so for the extra mag.   Pretty close.

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Great price and I think you'll be amazed at often you find a reason to carry it and how easily it disappears in the smallest places. It's like the iPod of handguns.

5. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    buy the 380...it will all ways be in your pocket....the p11 will be in the night stand.....gpr

6. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Going to go against the majority here, but only slightly. Don't discount the P32. It has some advantages over the P3AT. Slightly smaller, slightly lighter, has one more round & has the option of a ten round mag.

I've just sold my P3AT & have a first generation P32 in transit to my FFL as we speak. The 1G in either is even smaller & lighter.

JMO & YMMV

Now that being said if I run across a deal on a 1G P3AT I will snap it up. ;)

7. Eric_in_Nola

Eric_in_Nola New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    That is a good deal, get it.

8. finz50

finz50 New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Yep, it's a great deal on a great gun.

9. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I'm a bit of a minimalist --- even for handguns and I love my P3 BUT/SO

If my daily clothes permitted easy carry of a 9mm in a front pocket, I'd do it now...but it doesn't.

The reason is that terminal ballistics for the better 9mm rounds is clearly better than 380.

10. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    before we start ballistics, can I get the dead horse smiley

or the guillitine

or the fence post

please

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    or the guillitine
    or the fence post
    please
    [/quote]

Or:

[​IMG]

12. Or better yet........let me hijack the thread with another sales pitch? ;)

Mitch..........groveling in the dirt and begging virtual forgivness for previous violations!

13. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Hmmm, must be gearing up for a long weekend. I can't say in the short time I've been frequenting this board that I've ever seen this group turn down a ballistics discussion ;D ;D

14. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Yes, P3AT + Desantis Nemesis = disappears in any pants. There is just so many more options for carrying it over anything else short of an NAA revo in my opinion. Get a +1 extension and 8 rounds of .380 corbon dpx is a nice little package.

15. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    or the guillitine
    or the fence post
    please
    [/quote]

Or:

[​IMG][/quote]

Sorry--
    Didn't realize terminal ballistics of the 9mm short(380) v the 9mm long has been argued here....FMJ v HP of course but not 380 v 9mm.
    P3 is a fine weapon and I also prefer its handling and trigger to the P11 BTW

16. gedi223

gedi223 Guest

I can't say enough about my p3at for CC. I use to work an inner city ER and I have treated gunshot wounds from 22-45 and even a 50 cal muzzleloader. (For some reason all shotgun wounds have been birdshot, in 6 years i never saw a slug or buck).

1. I use to carry the p3at and a p32 both in their soft cases in each back pocket of scrubs and you never knew they were there. (gangers use to come in the ER and try to finish things all the time, you never knew when you might be there when it happened).

2. I've seen people get up and walk out after hit with a 45, and be DOA on arrival with a 22, and I've learned a valuable lesson. It's all about shot placement.

If you are going to carry the anything, carry it daily and practice not only shooting, but removing it from your carry as well. Most "gun fights" are within 2-10 feet so practice accordingly.

17. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Yes....buy it!  My LGS has a blued version for $255 and a Little Cloned Pistol for $299

18. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    The only question I have is if it is comfortable to pocket carry for you, then why would you need the P3?
    The P11 is FAR more weapon than the P3. The reason people (like me) buy it is for its concealibility. Doesn't sound like you have that problem with your P11.

19. batwell

batwell New Member

Feb 23, 2008
  20. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    The p11 is definitely hard to carry in dress pants/jeans if you don't have a jacket on or an untucked shirt.  I guess I was trying to get a feel from you p3 guys that if you have both do you trade them back and forth (maximizing firepower if concealable) or do you all just stick with your p3's because you are comforable with them??