Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want an RDB, and they are the right price now. But I have seen a couple of people posting with issues on the most recent RDB rifles where they are having multiple fires due to the firing pin spring being removed.

Can anyone with a newer RDB let me know there experience? Overall the rifle has good reviews but this seems to be on the older version.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have around 290 rounds through my latest version RDB 17 without any issues that weren't my own doing. I feel like the new ones solved many of the issues they had in the past. A good thing to note is people that have problems are usually more vocal than those that aren't experiencing them.

I would, however, suggest going through it after a couple hundred rounds and retightening all the screws and thoroughly checking cleaning up the internals just to make sure everything is good.

·
Super Moderator
10,097 Posts
As RogueIV mentioned, KTOG tends to be the place where people complain or turn to for help when there is a problem. Satisfied RDB owners don't generally search online for a place to tell the world how happy they are. There's definitely some reporting bias.

Everything that's manufactured gets better over time as the manufacturer gradually refines the design and the manufacturing processes to address any issues that arise. I'd be more reluctant to buy an early model RDB, and I bought two of those, the original and the RDB-S, and have had no problems. I think Kel-Tec has made enough RDBs by now, and they're more reliable than ever.

If you should have a problem, the original purchaser has a lifetime manufacturer's warranty. They can't be unreliable given that Kel-Tec is on the hook to make them right, in perpetuity. That's a welcome reassurance.

Reactions: RC-78x

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have two of them and they are great guns. Mine were manufactured within the last two years and no hiccups.

Great triggers out of the box, takes AR mags, has adjustable gas system and is ambi for lefties who usually get smacked in the face with brass! It is a really fun and easy to shoot system. Looks cool too!

Issues that are frequent and preventable are the screws being tightened down and the gas block adjustment not in the right place... I tested mine and found out 14 clicks from "off" is the sweet spot.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Sure, get one. Just know your rifle may run perfect or you may have to work through some issues. And you can say that about a lot of guns anyway.
I have always read, and experienced myself, that KT will resolve any issues you have and with good turn-around. So if you aren't happy, send it to them to go over.
If you are looking at buying an older RDB, some parts have been redesigned.
As for the statement about the firing pin spring being the current issue, I have read about them, but I wouldn't say other issues are occurring any less.
And I'm hesitant to blame the firing pin spring on the malfunction. The reality is more firing pins break after 2K rounds. You can say that about any RDB.
Your RDB may be perfect and I recommend buying new, being the original owner so you have full factory warranty.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I only had one problem- if you can call it that- with my RDB. That was that the gas plunger got stuck when I was first firing it. This is probably all my fault. I took the weapon apart before shooting and did some minor oiling, but did not remove and clean the gas plunger. Those shouldn't have oil on them anyway, so I didn't think it would be a big deal. I spent the whole day amazed that I kept turning down the gas with no effect on cycling. That night I had to pry it loose, it's possible there was some grease on there from the factory that froze up from fire/heat, and on my next trip my extremely low gas settings caused to FTE issues with brass getting lodged between the bolt and the receiver.

My only suggestion would be a complete disassembly, cleaning, and oiling before going to the range on that first trip. It will probably result in some frustration because it's a new weapon, and possibly a new cycling system for you to understand. The directions are ok, and common sense and patience will help lots.

Beware of dry firing with a good cheek weld. You could go deaf before firing a single shot.

If you want one, I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't purchase it, and then join us in finding ways to make it better!

·
Super Moderator
10,097 Posts
Beware of dry firing with a good cheek weld. You could go deaf before firing a single shot.
That is an odd aspect unique to the RDB bullpup design. You won't notice it when shooting, but it's very loud when dry firing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my RDB last week, gave it a good clean and oil and shot it today. Once I got the gas set correctly it ran great. Worked with my MagPul and GI mags but did not like my E-Lander mags. The E-Landers would seat and run but would not eject unless I pushed the mag in and hit the release at the same time. My FS2000 really like the E-Landers, but they will be reserved for my AR's. Was easily hitting the 200 yard plate with my red dot, so accurate enough for me. Seems like a good buy so far. A couple weeks to our 3 gun match, so we will see how it does in that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've got only a few hundred rounds through mine, also. It was enough to switch places with the AR as the in-house defense rifle. It's accurate at 25 yards, not so much at 50 where the AR excels. It now wears the EOTech, and the Nikon is on the AR.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm also looking into purchasing an RDB. Has anyone used steel cased ammo in one? I know some AR's don't like steel case ammo with the spent case getting stuck in the barrel chamber and will only cycle brass. My Ruger Mini-14 and DPMS AR-15 like both. Not a determining factor, just curious.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I have read mixed results in the RDB.
I was trolling RDB U toobs and saw one "why you shouldn't shoot steel in an RDB."
I didnt watch it or I could be real smart on the subject. But I dont need to because I will never choose to shoot steel case.
Yes Im a brass snob.
It comes down to my situation in that I dont shoot enough to justify buying steel. There isnt enuf of a cost savings for me to be worth trying steel and dealing with the issues, if any. I prefer to stick with what I know works.

·
Super Moderator
10,097 Posts
I shoot steel case in my one AK, and that's it. The AK was designed for steel case ammo. The cases are very tapered, the chambers are loose, etc. Some .223 firearms will shoot steel case but I think it's a false economy. It can be hard on the extractor and other components and the reliability generally isn't as good. I've read the rationalization that steel case is cheap enough that extractors can be replaced on a regular basis and still save money, but I'm not buying it. It seems like gun abuse. Besides. my time is valuable to me and I'd prefer to spend time shooting guns rather than working on them.

Besides, I reload so my 223 ammo is cheap. I don't count my reloading time because I enjoy reloading about as much as I do shooting. YMMV. Now if people would stop littering the range with steel cases so it'll be easier to pick up the brass. :)

Kel-Tec does not recommend steel case ammo in any of the firearms they manufacture.

Reactions: RC-78x

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Having said all that, I will agree that any serious SHTF PDW should run both in the event thats all you can get down the road.
A lot of preppers stock up on steel cheaper than brass.
So any rifle you want to rely on should at least be tested for steel.
Just in case.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.