should i be concerned?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ScatMelee, Dec 16, 2007.

1. ScatMelee

ScatMelee New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    my p3at will start to fail to extract after about 25-50 rounds fired.  after it starts to fail, it will only fail about once every magazine, sometimes more and sometimes less.  my extractor and spring look good and the screw is tight.  i even polished the chamber and ramp (to help the case slip out).  this started fresh from the box, and i have about 500 rounds through it now.
    how can i fix this inconvenience, or should i forget about it and just keep the gun clean?

2. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    are there marks on the brass where the extractor tried to pull it out...if yes, then i would polish the chamber more....if no, then i would take a closer look at the extractor...gpr

3. Allways keep it clean. But I would send in it to the factory and let them work on it. Without a stop for cleaning you should be abile to shoot 100 to 150 rounds before the drit factors in... Based on my expereance

4. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    I'm with gpr, I'd do more polishing on the chamber, only go in and out while polishing don't turn the sand paper.

What brand of ammo are you using? Does it do it was different brands of ammo?

I'd also call service and get them to send you an extractor, spring and screw.

5. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Call 1-800-515-9983 Service Dept and request a new extractor, extractor spring and buttonhead. Install all the new parts (don’t do it halfway) and there’s at least a 50-50 chance you will see improvement. I know of several recent Kel-Tec pistols where the extractor spring lacked/lost proper tension. Yours could be borderline with the slightest debris buildup causing a problem.

(click picture to see finger extensions in a P-3AT)
    [​IMG]
    Wilson – who’s assuming your magazines already have finger extensions (which cure all ills) but just wanted to post the picture above anyway :)

6. CLEAN, lube shoot.

I think 50 rounds with out cleaning is a bit much.

7. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    WHAT?!?!? :eek: maybe i'm just special but after i installed my new extractor, i fired 170 odd some with only a minor wipe down and a bit of fresh grease after the first 50 or 60.

to scat - i'd go ahead and polish the chamber some more andget a new extractor/spring and see what happens. maybe try some different ammo, what were you using?

spence

8. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    ScarMelee, FWIW I feel your P3 is falling within the normal range for these pistols.  At one end of the range for sure but still within operating parameters.  A number of these little guys will start having problems due to buildup around 50.  Others will go thousands of rounds without a cleaning.

Polishing & proper lube help a lot.  If mine goes bang seven times that's all I NEED for it to do.  After all it's initial issues were sorted out and a complete F&B I shot mine a little over 200 rounds in it's first outing (I had help). No issues or failures. HOWEVER I have that thing polished within an inch of it's life & on that occasion dripping in lube.

9. jocko

jocko Guest

I sure in hell don't. :-/ Darn near allt his ammo made today is very clean burning, and if a handgun won't go 50 rounds without messing up, then there is something wrong with the handgun.

10. I sure in hell don't.   :-/  Darn near allt his ammo made today is very clean burning, and if a handgun won't go 50 rounds without messing up, then there is something wrong with the handgun.[/quote]

Come On Jocko, How do you really feel........

11. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    You must be shooting current century ammo. Some of we folk are using 25 year old .380 ammo.

Wilson – who’s wishing he had a few more thousand rounds of Santa Barbara :)

12. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    You may want to try a different brand of ammo. Mine works great with Speer Gold Dot 90gr JHPs but not with WWB or Georgia Arms ammo.

PshootR

13. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    WWB is filthy.

14. ScatMelee

ScatMelee New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    wow, you guys are fast!  thanks for all the good advice.  let me answer some questions;

"are there marks on the brass where the extractor tried to pull it out?" - yes
    "What brand of ammo are you using?" - winchester fmj, blazer fmj, and speer gold dot jhp
    "Does it do it with different brands of ammo?" - yes

i will polish the chamber again first. if that does not work, i'll call kel-tec for a new spring and extractor. thanks again for the help, and i'll let you all know how it goes next time i get to the range!

15. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Some folks do like to do a cursory cleaning every 50 ronuds or so... nothing wrong with that. If you're talking your average size 2 pound pistol, I'd have to agree. It better go much further than that.  However, an 8 oz pistol that will drop into your shirt pocket, I'm not so sure.  Some will go many hundreds of rounds (like your torture tested ones did), and others won't.  The margin or error is thin on these guns, some apparently thinner than others.  I don't think I've ever shot more than 100 - 150 rounds in mine w/o cleaning so I don't know how far they'll go.  But the bottom line is,  they only need to go 7 rounds w/o cleaning.  Well, sometimes I carry a spare mag so make it 13.  ;)

16. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    I recommend getting the new extractor anyway. A dull extractor was a very common problem for a while. When you get it, if you drag the point that engages the casing rim across you finger, it should slightly snag the skin. If it is sharp, like it should be you'll know it. You should be able to compare it to the one in your P3AT and replace it if necessary (dull or rounded). When I replaced mine, it solved all my FTEx problems. ....and the job is a piece of cake ...... mmmmmmm .....cake! ;)

17. ScatMelee

ScatMelee New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    i went to the range today and put 50 rounds through it with no problems at all, and i did it real fast and dirty!  i only had 50 rounds with me, but next time i'll shoot it until it stops.  i shot quickly because i thought the heat might have been a factor too, and i didn't want to give it time to cool. thanks for helping me everybody!

18. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I've shot 350 rounds over two range sessions without cleaning and never had a hiccup. I used CLP, then Rem-dry-lube, then a bit of grease to top it off. I was going to try to go for over 500+ rounds, but I had to clean it to get ready to send off to Jack F. for the nickel-plating (plus it just kinda psychologically messes with me to have a dirty gun laying around).

19. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    If the goal is to shoot it until sufficient gunk builds up to jam your P-3AT, just put a hand full of dirt in it and it should jam in just a few rounds. This will save you a bunch of money on ammo and prove that featherweight pistols operated best when clean :)

Wilson – who’s refusing to get in any gunfight that requires more than 50 rounds because he can’t carry more than 6 extra magazines in his pockets without is pants falling down :D

20. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Call 1-800-515-9983 Service Dept and request a new extractor, extractor spring and buttonhead. Install all the new parts (don’t do it halfway) and there’s at least a 50-50 chance you will see improvement. I know of several recent Kel-Tec pistols where the extractor spring lacked/lost proper tension. Yours could be borderline with the slightest debris buildup causing a problem.

(click picture to see finger extensions in a P-3AT)
    [​IMG]
    Wilson – who’s assuming your magazines already have finger extensions (which cure all ills) but just wanted to post the picture above anyway :)
    [/quote]

Man those are good looking guns. /drool

to OP: try grease on the rails, maybe even the 'ole hair dryer-ed grease trick. CLP across the board, grease in high traffic areas seems to be the best solution in general. Things will open up more after a lot of shooting too, which is good. Good luck. :)

Sorry if this was mentioned, I saw those pretty pieces and had to comment!