SHOT Show 2020 - What Will Kel-Tec Announce?

Discussion in 'The Counter' started by Liberty4Ever, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    The big SHOT Show is January 21st-24th. What do you think Kel-Tec will have for us this year? What do you hope they'll be announcing this year?

I think and I hope they'll have the carbine version of the CP33 pistol.

They should also have some story for us to explain why Chad told us last summer that they were releasing their P17 pistol in November of 2019, and to avoid all of those past times when they over promised and under delivered, they already finished the P17 design and went into production before the initial product announcement last summer, and they were building a large inventory so there would be plenty of P17 pistols to ship in November to avoid GunBroker price gouging. Chad didn't actually say GunBroker, but that's what I heard.

2. darkwriter77

darkwriter77 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Probably another rimfire that (almost) nobody requested. They've pretty much given up on the concealed carry market at this point, it seems. :rolleyes:

lklawson and Bear Claw like this.

3. mtn_chef

mtn_chef Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    nc mountains
    I’m dreaming of a RDB that’s chambered in 7.62x39 and takes AK mags...

and the p11 2.0 what ever that might be...

Rotorflyr likes this.
  4. darkwriter77

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    P11 v2.0 ain't gonna happen ... at least not from KT. SCCY already jumped on it with the DVG1 - basically, the CPX2 (which was a P11 clone with upgrades) in striker-fired form.

5. mtn_chef

mtn_chef Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    nc mountains
    I can “Dream” darkwriter, can’t I?

Have you seen how much savage gets for a combo rifle? like the .22mag/.410 break action one they make. I’d like to see a sub2k style folding combo rifle in .223 and 12 gauge, or some other hot pistol caliber and a .20 gauge? Ammo storage in the stock or pistol grip?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  6. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
  7. darkwriter77

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    If they make a P17 in .22 WMR, I might actually be interested, but not for the sake of concealed carry. Rather, I'd just like one as a range toy. Having 17-round mags would be a little less of a hassle to load than 30-rounders, and the smaller overall size would fit my hands a little more gooderer than the PMR30 does (although it's still not all that bad, really). Primarily, it would be nice to have a conventional magazine release button, rather than having it on the heel of the grip. But since it's something I want, I can pretty much bet on KT not making it. :p

(Yes, in case it isn't obvious, I'm genuinely peeved over KT not only refusing to update the P11, and instead killing it off entirely, but also allowing their copycat competition to surpass them and seize a wasted opportunity. All they've gotta do now is kill off the P32 and I just might decide against getting a CMR30 or another PMR30 out of spite and instead get my .22 WMR jollies from another brand. :mad: )

8. Bear Claw

Bear Claw Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2017
    KelTec @ SHOT Show: 'We've cancelled the P17 due to a previously undetected major design flaw, production delays and the release of new .22LR models already on the market by Taurus, Glock and Ruger'

Sworn 'Merican likes this.
  9. JoeGinsu

JoeGinsu Member

Sep 9, 2019

Well they already missed their expected release date. They claim on FB they sent some out before their Holiday vacation and are actively sending out more as I type. This wouldn't surprise me after seeing that awful YouTube review. Just slap a better spring in it and let's take our chances on their new .22 pistol.

10. BigMatty24

BigMatty24 Active Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Washington, Alaska
    Last time they were in the same position. It was the same stuff. Just closer to shipping. Honestly I'm okay with that. Not every shot has to be the release of new ground breaking products.

Saw that KS7 at the lgs last weekend. It was glorious.

11. ColZap

ColZap Member

May 26, 2019
    I'm hoping that they finally release some of the accessories for the rdb that they've been teasing for the last 3 years. Like a rail, ir a different charging handle, or that laser cut brass catcher. But most likely they'll focus on the cp33.

12. sb62

sb62 Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Carbine or braced pistol CP33-- any change would be a relatively easy move on Kel-Tec's part. They need to make both versions, and lot of people are expecting this. Many will be disappointed if the company fails to deliver IMO. A second generation version to address some of the other minor bugs discussed earlier would be the frosting on the cake. Kel-Tec --you're 95% there--finish the job!

rickclark28 likes this.
  13. Ocean_Ranger

Ocean_Ranger Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2013
    I frankly don't think they will announce any new models - with the new P17 apparently stalled, they probably have their hands full already.

As to what I HOPE they'll be announcing - how about a modern, light-weight and/or high-capacity version of the Webley-Fosbery automatic revolver? With their CAD/CNC capabilities, it wouldn't be all that difficult - I've been expecting somebody to do it for years. Guess we could see a KT 'wheel gun' some day, if Mr. Kelgren has a revolver design on his bucket list...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  14. marc_damron

marc_damron Member

Dec 25, 2018
    It probably wont work

15. tx-rvr

tx-rvr Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Abilene Texas
    You may have to do a Fluff & Buff to make it work without a failure. :eek::eek::eek: :p:p:p :D:D:D

Steve

16. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Active Member

Dec 28, 2006
    They'd be late to the party.... (you can skip to 0:56)

If KT does introduce something new you can be it will be plastic and held together with screws....;)

17. Cokeman

Cokeman Active Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Utah
  18. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
  19. Bear Claw

Bear Claw Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2017
    They should just get it over with and change their name to 'Kel-Tec Rifles'.

20. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Well, they did re-announce the P17 pistol... for reals this time! The P11 retirement announcement stated that they were making room in their lineup for more pistols, so that's an expression of handgun intent. I expect we'll be seeing more innovative Kel-Tec pistols in the coming years. Heck, they're probably working on one or two right now.

I have oodles of Kel-Tecs, but none of their CCW pistols. I'm a hard use case for CCW. I want stainless, nitride, etc. There's nothing wrong with Kel-Tec's CCW pistols, but they are not as well suited for how I carry. It always seemed to make more sense to pay 2-3 times as much for a pistol that holds up better to my CCW abuse. For me, a CCW pistol is a tool that I largely forget and neglect.

So, to answer the questioning title of this forum, it looks like Kel-Tec announced the integrally suppressed SUB-2000 (very cool) and is now shipping the P17 pistol a few months later than originally promised after a small reliability issue that's hopefully now corrected. Based on the online comments, I think most Kel-Tec customers would be happy if Kel-Tec spent more time on manufacturing to ship their products to more closely meet the market demand, even if that's at the expense of developing new products.