Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be in the archives somewhere, but I can't find it.  I was putting the frame back into the grip of my P-3AT today and ran into a problem that ended with a broken hammer spring.  The problem came about when it came time to put the back of the frame all the way into the grip -- the part where you push on the hammer block and press the frame into place.  Each time I did this, the hammer was stuck either all the way forward or all the way back.  The trigger was immovable (it was fully functional before this stage). I finally broke the hammer spring seating it in its place down in the butt of the gun.

What am I doing wrong?  Sure apprecite anyone who can get me on track again.  Naturally, I'm going to call Mother tomorrow and get a new assembly coming (I'm way too stubborn to let a little flesh wound -- so to speak -- stop me!)

Regards,
Lynnsky

G

·
Re: Shot myself in the foot -- figuratively speaki

Lynnsky-   a vid clip from Beach may help

===============
removing the frame video by Beach

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw[/ame]

replacing mag catch by Beach

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA4tb32UIs[/ame]

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your taking the time to reply.  Naturally, my old Dell couldn't handle the youtube video.  But, from the info I could read on the sites supplied by TxCajun, looks like I did everything right.  It doesn't specifically say what state the hammer should end up in other than to push it all the way forward.  At this point it looks like I may have erred by not reinstalling the hammer spring, driving in the frame pins, putting the slide back on, and reinstalling the asembly pin.  I had the chance to do that a couple of times, but I assumed the hammer shouldn't be stuck so tightly forward.  Ah well, finally got the time to call Kel Tec.  Guess I'll see what they have to say at Mother and get a hammer assembly coming back my way.

Thanks again, TxCajun and Nu_Agin_Shooter, I am in your debt.

Regards,
Lynnsky

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In case this info might help somebody

The techie at Kel Tec said I had missed one step: the hammer needs to be pushed back a bit to reseat the hammer block (after you get the frame fully seated into the grip at the back).  Then, reassemble as normal.  I was "pretty close but no cigar"  :)

Life goes on -- gotta hammer assembly coming my way (no charge of course -- ain't Kel Tec service great! ;D).

Thanks again!

Regards,
Lynnsky

·
Registered
146 Posts

Shucks and wazoo! You missed a funny UTube vid where the guy working on the frame uses a roofer's claw hammer to R&R the frame pins. I freakin' laffed. Just too funny.

Perhaps it's not your Dell preventing you from viewing the vid, but your slow internet connection?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

onefunzr2, I think you're probably right on the money!  What can I say, I'm livin' in the stone age with a five year old Dell and a (very slow) dial up connection.  Hell, if it wasn't for this little Kel Tec addiction problem, maybe I'd have the extra forty bucks a month for a modern high speed connection (never mind the possibility of a new computer).  Oh well, guess I can dream of that next Kel Tec acquisition while I wait for my computer to slowly do its thing  :)

Regards,
Lynnsky

·
Banned
7,638 Posts

Hi Lynnski. Whoah! Either you got bad advice, or you are misinterpreting it. Do NOT c o c k the hammer before you attach the hammer spring bottom. This will almost surely over stretch the hammer spring. You MUST, of course c o c k the hammer before you put the slide on.

I think you were jamming the spring in the grip. The hammer should be all the way forward and the spring dangling loose in the mag well when you ease the frame down into the grip. The hammer spring is rather brittle and won't take much bending--especially at the loop ends.

Packer.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Packer, if you think I'm gonna take your advice over the techie at Kel Tec ... well, then, you are absolutely right!  ;D  And yeah, to be fair, I certainly could have misinterpreted the info.  At any rate, many thanks for setting me straight!

Only problem at the moment is that I called 'em last Monday, they said it would be in the mail Tuesday, and I haven't got it yet  :'(  Looks like another call to Mother is in order first thing in the morning.  I miss my P-3AT in functioning form  :(

Regards,
Lynnsky

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Got 'er put back together yesterday and shot 25 trouble free rounds this evening. Took about three tries to get the frame to rest perfectly flush in the grip -- looked at my P-32 and found I wasn't pushing the hammer block all the way forward. Shoved it a sixteenth of an inch or so further, the frame slapped down flush and tight on the grip, reassembled the gun, verified operation with snap caps, and got to fire a few downrange this evening when it cooled down a bit. Sure is nice to have the 3-AT up and going again.
Thanks again for the help guys!

Regards,
Lynnsky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.