Shot my P3-AT for first time - Please help!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by texanandproud, Nov 27, 2007.

1. texanandproud

texanandproud New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    My wife got a P32 and I got a P3-AT and we went to the range yesterday and shot 50 rounds each for the first time right out of the box without a single jam with either gun!!! I'm so pleased. But I do have questions and complaints that I know are answered elesewhere but as I'm BRAND NEW to the group please allow me to ask here.

1) Is this a difference in the weapons or is one of the guns defective? - After my wifes gun fires it's last round the slide remain open. To close "cycle" the slide you must remove the magazine. This happens every time the last shot is fired. BUT for my gun (the P3-AT) when the last shot is fired the slide or breech remains closed.  I just figured all Kel-Tecs would operate the same way and if both are performing normally I am suprized. I figured one of them is "right" and one is "wrong".

2) On my P3-AT I find the trigger very uncomfortable. I read elsewhere that someone had a "fix" for the top of the trigger pinching big fingers. I would say that I am a big man with big fingers but my problem is the sharp protruding bottom of the trigger who's sharp edge is uncomfortable! So much so that I'm sure the discomfort on pulling pack on the trigger (takes a pretty good pull as well!) is effecting my accuracy.

I read all kinds of things here - spring swaps, honing pieces, trigger shoes etc.. What would keep that sharp bottom tip of the trigger that points forward into my finger in a sharp way from bothering me. It's almost if I could take the sharp tip and make it a little wider and not so sharp and bend the sharp tip down a little it would be more comfortable!

Also is there an easy fix for making the trigger pull a little less.

I am a novice with pistols and until this point my only experience with guns has been as a hunter with shotguns and a couple of rifles. I managed to follow the books instructions for a partial diassembly and reassembly ok but I have no "gunsmithing" experience to speak of.

Sorry this very 1st topic of mine is so long - I will appreciate your help on these issues.

Thanks so much,
    Melvin
    texanandproud

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Not meaning to be short, just tired.

P3AT does not have a slide stop like the P32 does so all is fine (or at least normal there).

Many people find sanding the trigger and or putting a piece of tubing around it and or using a wider trigger (trigger shoe) to be helpful or more comfortable.
    Sanding the sharp point down a bit sounds like what you might need.

Not much available for trigger pull. Shoot it a few hundred rounds and it tends to get a bit smoother and maybe a bit lighter, but not much.

Good job, welcome, good night.

-Scott

3. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Welcome on board.

1. No, just like they were made to do. P32 has an internal slide lock P3AT don't

2. Try sanding it down w/ some 600 grit paper or get a trigger shoe, here's the tip about the top of trigger bitting.
    http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks7.htm

3.Over the next 200 or so rounds the trigger and other parts will 'break in'. You can also go to the Tec Werks section and do the fluff and buff ( it just helps the normal break in period speed up).
    http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks.htm

Make sure to lube them well (I'd never shoot one out of the box,I always clean ,inspect and lube ,just my .02)here's a good  lube instruction.
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm

PS ,when removing the assm. pin on either gun place a finger on each side and apply pressure to the frame while removing pin,failure to do so can cause the retaining spring to come out of place and cause a problem.

(I was working on it Scott   :D )

4. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I'm not sure if that trigger fix you linked to (for the P11) will work for the P3-AT.

Me, I just cut off a bit of the tip of the trigger and sanded it. I think it still needs some more sanding, though.

5. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Welcome. What everybody else said...... ::)

wyo-man

6. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Here is a pic of my P3 with the trigger tip modified & a hold open device inserted. This makes removing the assembly pin MUCH easier.

[​IMG]

Another shot, the mag base is off of a FEG .380 (PPK clone);

[​IMG]

FWIW I've had to trim the tip of the trigger on all but one of my KTs.

7. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Yep, good advice here from everyone. Sanding the inside of the trigger guard will benifit also. And for perhaps better control and accuracy, some type of fingertip extension on the bottom of the mag. and some kind of rubber sleeve on the pistol grip help, at lease they did for me. And welcome to KTOG. Keep us posted. :)

8. texanandproud

texanandproud New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    One thing - Negative about Kel-Tec I think. From what I've read it seems universal that almost all do not like the
    comfort or feeL of the triggers on these guns. It would cost Kel- Tec almost nothing to change the shape of the trigger
    where it contacts yhe shooters trigger finger in order to make it comfortable - Why don't they? If the trigger itself was 1/16"
    longer - As long as it could be WITHOUT touching the trigger guard and the tip not so sharp and pointy it would do wonders.
    I actually have a little sore spot that I can feel when squeezing gently on the trigger today that is the result of shooting
    only 50 rounds only 2 days ago!

Thank you all for the tips - Query you all this? - IF I got my dremel tool and "de-sharpened" the tip of the trigger
    but I was still not pleased with the results - Don't you think that the trigger shoe would still install. In other wise
    does smoothing out the sharp tip do anything negative that would make the trigger shoe not install correctly.

So - After reading y'alls fine suggestions I think I will do the honing and buffing thing first. Next smooth the sharp tip of the
    trigger with myand lastly if I don't like the feel of the trigger after smoothing I'll install the shoe!

THANKS so much for you guys great inputs - I think I am really going to enjoy my Kel-Tec and this user group.
    It's amazing to me how beneficial this site is and how such a chep hangun has such a good following by users and
    apparantly great support from the manufacturer. I really think I my wife and I made great choices. She loves her little P32.

THANKS to all,
    Texanandproud
    Melvin
    Buda Tx

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Just for the record, other than maybe problems with extra flashing from the plastic mold which can be easily sanded smooth, wifey and I love the triggers on the P3ATs. We think they are just right for their intended use and would not desire KT to change a thing on them. She has larger hands for a woman and I have medium hands for man.

-Scott

10. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    JMO, but I'm not a big fan of a trigger shoe on a carry piece. Couple of reasons. First it's one more thing to malfunction (come loose & it will) and secondly I don't want the trigger any wider than it is now. Don't want the trigger exposed on the sides to accidental contact. I bought one for my P40 & ended up giving it away to someone on this board.

If you have to use this gun in a social situation you won't notice the perceived trigger problems. It's not a range toy. Shoot seldom, carry often. They point shoot quite accurately up to 4 or 5 yards & past that I should be running not fighting.

11. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    To use the Kel-Tec trigger shoe on a small frame K/T product you must first narrow it as shown here: http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/triggershoe.htm . Otherwise you will be creating an accidental discharge situation just waiting to happen.

PshootR

12. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    FWIW, I have no problem with the Keltec triggers except the mold line I smoothed down. After many shots, that little ridge can be abrasive to your trigger finger.

I second all the other comments about the trigger shoe. Narrower is better on a defensive weapon, especially one that may be held in deep concealment. A wide shoe makes the possibility of something catching on it more likely.

--Plex

13. texanandproud

texanandproud New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    So Cool! I sanded the sharp tip of the trigger 1st with Med fine sandpaper and than put the pistol in a vice and rolled up a strip of sand paper and pulled it back in forth to smooth out the molding line on the inside of the trigger guard. Than I did the same thing with very fine sand paper - wiped off the dust and I'm happy. Basically all the trigger tip needed was to be "dulled" and flatened out a wee bit. The sharp edge does not bother my finger anymore. It is my opinion that nothing more is needed and I agree that the shoe is just something that could get loose or need messing with some day.

The sharp edge does not bother my wife as her trigger finger is small and fits into the curve of the trigger. For all users of P3-AT's or P32's with a big finger I bet you if you "dull" the sharp tip you will find it more comfortable.

Next that honing and buffing process sounds good to me and I think that's all I'm going to do.

UNLESS - does anyone have anything else that they strongly suggest as a beneficial modification before I put it into everyday use?

Thanks Much
    Texanandproud

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Clean..Lube..Shoot.. ;)..that should do you

15. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    +1 every 50 rounds or so, these things like to be lubed

16. texanandproud