shot it for the first time

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Tugjeep, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Tugjeep

Tugjeep New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Finally got it back from the gunsmith, had the slide duracoated in stainless. I shot 2 boxes of remington cheap stuff through it. During the first 3 clips I had several Light Strikes about 2 a clip. After that it seemed to run fine should I have any concerns or any fittig issues to address?

2. drg-racr

drg-racr New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I just sent my week old P3at back to Keltec yesterday for light strikes.  It could be from dirt in the firing pin bore or possibly the same problem I just had.  Mine has a trigger problem where if I pulled the trigger very slowly the hammer would not fall all the way forward...it would stop near the "cocked" position.  Look at this video to see what I am talking about.  You don't have to disassemble to try it out, just put a snap cap in it and test while together.

[​IMG]

3. Tugjeep

Tugjeep New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    thanks ill try it I hope its not major. Dont want to eat a duracoat job. Let me know what kel tec says

4. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    did you bother to break the gun in before sending it off to be duracoated? have you since re-cleaned it before shooting it again?

then run 50 rounds after cleaning, and let us know how it goes. use standard, every day WWB ammo for testing.

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Lightstrikes are easily fixed. There are two causes for them. 1) Failure to reset the trigger fully. Doing so causes the hammer to fall from the hammer block not the fully cocked position. 2) Brass shavings or crude from the factory in the firing pin channel. Just pull the FP, flush out the channel, make certain there are no burrs in the channel from machining, lube and reassemble. Problem solved and option 2 takes about 5 minutes the first time you do it. After that, just check it every time you clean it by manually working the firing pin back and forth. There is no need to send your gun back to Momma.

6. Tugjeep

Tugjeep New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Took it all apart did not see any shavings. Cleaned everything up shot 150 rds today only happened twice early in the session seems to have worked itself out. Thanks for the replies. Next time I take it down im going to chamfer the fp hole

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    which side of the hole do you plan on chamfering.  the primer side or inside the channel in the slide.

I don't see where chamfering either would be a good ideal.

if the primer side, the relief around the pin will allow the primer crater to expand and lock the barrel from tipping down during recoil

if the channel side, the champer will provide a tapper seat for the spring and thus constict the last coil around the pin and bind it.

cleaning the two IDs of the channel with numbered drills is a good ideal though, just be sure not to let drill tip chamfer where the spring seats  ;)

8. Tugjeep

Tugjeep New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    thanks for the sound advice. I will not be chamfering the holes just cleaning. It seems to be fine just starting to see ammo around I think another 150 rds. should clear things up thanks again guys sorry so slow to respond but I do value your advice.