Shot an LCP and P11 today

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by MW_surveyor, Jan 24, 2010.

1. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Weather was just too good to work in the yard so went to the range insted even though I had just been on Wednesday ;D

Lots of folks there, had to wait on a lane so looked around at what everyone was shooting. Saw a guy with a brand new P11 and got to talking with him. Just bought the gun and of course hadn't even cleaned it :eek: Gun was cylcling without a problem but he could not hit the target from 7 yards. Asked to try, said yes. I couldn't hit where I was aiming. His wife did better than the both of us :-[. Told him about KTOG, cleaning, lubing, fluff and buff, etc. We'll probably have a new member soon on the P11 forum anyway.

Finally got a lane and the guy next to me had an LCP with a laser sight. He never hit the target using the laser :'(. Aske to try the LCP, got a yes. Didn't use the laser for the try. Could not even see the front sight. Got the rounds on the target but not with any accuracy. Told him I had a P-3AT and went back to the truck to get it. (Wasn't going to shoot it today but what the heck, might as well clean three guns instead of the 2 that I took on the range). I let him try my P-3AT and he was able to get all of the rounds on target wtihout a problem. He really liked the trigger and pull length on the P-3AT better than his LCP. I know I certainly did. Also that he was able to put the rounds in a good group on the target.

I feel better and better about the P-3AT everytime I go to the range [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

2. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Great report! Thanks. :)

How many rounds do you have through your P3? Just curious if that would make any difference in the trigger pull, or if it was just the difference between the Kel-tec and the Ruger.

3. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I've got about 300+ rounds through the P-3AT.  Trigger pull was never a real problem for me as I've got a few DA revolvers so I'm used to DAO.  My P-3AT has a good smooth and consistant pull to me. It also maybe that doing a general  fluff and buff and using/practice with snap caps before even taking it out for the first time.

I'm going to assume that there is a differnce between the P-3AT and the LCP in regard to the trigger pull as it seemed like the P-3AT was a bit less in effort.  Not sure of how many rounds were sent through the LCP previously but it seemed like the guy that let me try it put about 100 rounds through it trying to get the laser in alignment.

4. ddcullen

ddcullen New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Wanting a Ruger LCP...
    Own a P-11 for couple years. Have had mixed experiences with it. Sent back to company twice! Once for a very needed fluff&Buff, and again for failure to eject spent rounds and they replaced a broken ejection pin. Good but slow service.
    It works fine now as long as i stay away from cheap ammo. The only thing that saddens me is the trigger pull, long and heavy with no indication of where it will engage.

Question: To all those that have fired both P-11 and Ruger LCP, how do the triggers compare??? Thanks....

David (RI)

5. pointpro

pointpro New Member

May 9, 2005
    I love my p3at but I sure would like one of those ruger lcr's. Has anyone had a chance to shoot one? I've been able to hold one in the store.

6. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    They don't. LCP has it beat hands down. The two P11s I've shot had the worst triggers of any gun I've ever shot in my life. I LOVE my P3AT, but I wouldn't take a P11 if you GAVE it to me if i had to carry it just because the trigger is so bad. The P3AT has the LCP though beat though.

7. ddcullen

ddcullen New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    They don't.  LCP has it beat hands down.  The two P11s I've shot had the worst triggers of any gun I've ever shot in my life.  I LOVE my P3AT, but I wouldn't take a P11 if you GAVE it to me if i had to carry it just because the trigger is so bad.  The P3AT has the LCP though beat though.[/quote]

I agree. While the P-11 has worked well enough since it made it back from Kel-Tec for repairs, the trigger is almost embarrassing. Glad to hear the LCP has a better trigger. Could describe how? Shorter, lighter? And most importantly, does it have a clearer spot along the pull that lets you know its about to fire??? But you feel P3AT is a better choice?
    Also, what do you think may be the best defense ammo choice for LCP & P3AT? I understand it can be sensitive to certain ammo types, and doesnt like +P.
    Thanks for your advice...
    David (RI)

8. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Really not a good comparison. They are two different calibers. That said...I carry a P3 with confidence because I CARRY IT and I can hit what I aim at repeatedly.

I am currently carrying with Remington Golden Sabers and as soon as I can test shoot some Speer Gold Dots I'll be carrying those simply because I personally like that penetration and expansion.