Shooting glove

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by lee4019, Aug 16, 2009.

1. lee4019

lee4019 New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I read on a post somewhere that they use a glove when shooting there P3AT to help with recoil. I don't remember if it was a golf glove or shooting glove or something else. The recoil doesn't affect me when I'm shooting but I do feel it in my hand after i'm done. So does anybody here use a glove?

2. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I used to get a blister on the palm of my hand where the bottom of the grip fit when I shot 50 rounds or more, so I used a glove for a while. Made it much more pleasant to shoot.

3. devicemanager

devicemanager New Member

Dec 11, 2008
  4. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    HERE is what I use.  They help with the sore hand thing, but don't completely eliminate it.  I only seem to need them with my P-3AT.

[​IMG]

5. lee4019

lee4019 New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Cool I think there's auction fot that.......... maybe E-bay

Hey pocketgun are those the NRA shooting gloves?

6. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    I don't know what you mean. They just say Uncle Mike's on them - nothing about the NRA.

7. lee4019

lee4019 New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The NRA store sells shooting gloves that look like those.

8. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Do you have a link?

9. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    My wife has a Charter Arms Pink Lady thats pretty light,when she shoots she uses a right hand batters glove that we bought in the sporting goods section at Wally World.It works for her. ;D

10. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    They look almost identical. With the exception of the closure tab (logo, slightly different shape) I can see no difference.

If you buy them do a review for us, OK?

11. hickory

hickory New Member

Jul 13, 2005
    i have used bicycle gloves before, because thats what i had handy. usually dont use gloves tho.

12. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I wouldn't don a glove at the shooting range for a P3AT for fear of getting laughed out of the place. It doesn't have THAT much recoil; it's only a .380 after all. A good slip on grip will help go a long way if you have sweaty palms though.

13. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I use the same leather work glove with the fingers cut off I use for riding gloves.

[​IMG]

For social work its bare handed. ;)

14. rkboyer911

rkboyer911 New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    My wife just uses a regular weight lifting gloves that she has for the gym. I've used them to they work great and you have 2 uses for them!! LOL

15. lee4019

lee4019 New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Lucky for me my range is my driveway. I agree it doesn't have a nasty recoil, but i shoot 40 or 50 rounds and don't feel anything while shooting [probally Adrenalin] but get a sore spot around the palm and thumb web area when I'm done. That's why I like these gloves, they have recoil-dissipating AVG gel inserts and I have multiple guns that I can use them with. Not a bad deal for under $20.

16. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    My hand used to get very sore in the thumb/index finger web after as few as 25 rounds (per hand) with my P-3AT. I would start to get a little sore and stiff after a few hours, then peak about 36 hours later. It affected my ability to use a keyboard (home and work), and very likely would have badly impaired my ability to defend myself with a firearm. In short, it was a real problem and a minor injury - not just a little inconvenience and me being a wuss. We are talking minor swelling and bruising, with temporary loss of some motor control.

After some research and speaking with a surgeon who works on carpal tunnel problems, I came to understand that this type of injury can eventually lead to weakness and/or chronic nerve pain (neuropathy), either of which could eventually limit or end my ability to so much as safely hold a firearm. The damage can be cumulative, and often permanent.

To date, no one has ever made fun of me at the range because of gloves. Consider that ear protection - universally expected now, was once treated in much the same way. May people ended up damaging their ears in the name of so-called "realistic" training, pleasing Granpa, etc. Now you have to wear ear pro at the range or risk getting scolded or kicked out. Will hand protection one day become ubiquitous in the way ear and eye protection are? Probably not - not everyone seems to need gloves to avoid damage to their hands. I only need it with the P-3AT after all. But if you don't have this problem, try and understand how fortunate you are, and don't give out bad advice to the people that do.

17. TNHitter

TNHitter New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I use mechanics gloves, gives me a good grip and has just enough padding.

18. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    +1 Pocketgun.

When I was young & stupid I didn't wear ear protection. Now I have to have almost everythign repeated.

BIG +1 on avoiding Carpal Tunnel injury!!!!!!!!!!