Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks. I looked it up and learned something- useful info even for us non competitors
Stelth was actually less expensive than 147 grain FMJ, and it also makes some claims about reduced build up. I'm glad I tried it, but it doesn't have enough power to cycle the CQB reliably, so no more for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you check the Fiocci target for keyholing? Maybe the barrel can't stabilize that heavy 158gr. bullet? What's the twist?

Edit: KT offers the SUB-CQB in either 1:10 or 1:16. Since the rifled portion of the barrel is only 4.25", I would think that 1:10 would really help stabilization of longer subsonic bullets. I have no idea how to verify which barrel you have or what the SKU is for each twist variant.

Edit part deux: And the actual manual says the CQB is 1:10. It also states the standard gun is 9mm/.40S&W with twists of 1:10/1:16, so perhaps all the 9mms are 1:10 and the .40 is 1:16? This seems more likely and should totally stabilize 158 gr. just fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I picked up my CQB last week after filing electronically and a four month wait.
As usual with KelTec it seems that when you buy one of their products, you become part of the KelTec team, that is the product development part.
I brought it home and gave it a basic clean before heading out to the range. There's a restriction in the suppressor tube that won't allow the baffels to slide out unassisted. I think it's probably a dent or the result of tightening the handguard/heat shield too much. Anyway, I wound up dragging the baffels past the restriction with a bore brush. I can see problems there when I get a little carbon build up.
At the range I was reminded that KelTec ships their weapons dry. No pre lube there. I might be old and feeble, but I can still cycle a FN FAL without a problem. A 9mm KelTec is another beast. I wound up putting the butt on the bench and cycling the bolt with the web of my hand.
Accuracy was pretty good, and it's fun to shoot, but wouldn't cycle Winchester White Box 147 grain reliably. The same story with Hornady 147 grain personal defense loads. 115 Grain Blazer Brass functioned reliably.
After a trip to the shop for Mcarbo upgrades and a good lube, it cycles a bit easier, but still had one malfunction out of ten rounds fired using WWB 147 grain. We'll see if it loosens up and becomes more reliable with the heavier bullets after a couple hundred 115 grain loads.
This is my fourth KelTec (P3AT, PF9, CMR30 and now CQB). They have some great ideas, but always sloppily executed. I would be really happy if they would just up the sale price of everything $50.00 across the board and deliver a product that the buyer didn't have to completely overhaul before their purchase became reliable.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts