Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all . I have been thinking of equipping the ksg with a shell deflector to save my arms from burns and cuts. How effective are they? Do they eliminate or just lesson the impacts from spent shell's ? There are a lot out there but which one's are good and which one's are not. Or should I just stop complaining and wear glove's . Let me know your experiences. Is there a special one not commonly known? Benefits as well as disadvantages. Let me know how you really feel. All input is graciously welcome. Thanks.:):trend:
Metal
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Gun accessory
Trigger Hammer drill Tool
Trigger Bumper Gun accessory Automotive exterior

·
Registered
130 Posts
I didn't think I needed or wanted one until the day I looked down at my pants during a range session and saw some patches of blood. Took me a minute to figure out it was coming from my wrist. I was used to feeling the shells bounce off my wrist so I didn't even think it would be that, but this time I had a pretty good cut. The one I have is from Primary Machine. I read somewhere that they make at least one of the others sold under a different name. And yes, it does work. It does take some re-training on using the tube selector switch though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It smacks my wrists. But it doesnt bother me. I think its user preference and how you hold the platform. And the harder you throw back the slide. The faster it flicks the shells. Under normal use. You can take your time. If it were combat to protect you and yours. Whats a nick on your wrist among friends? -(you and your KSG)-

Reactions: jimboksg and 850sub

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think it would further restrict the feeding process to a already busy place by putting a cover on it.

Reactions: jimboksg

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've noticed that for some reason many KSG shooters put their right arm under the gun, right where it'll get hit by ejected shells.

I early on learned when shooting a long gun the "triangle" hold of holding the right arm out to the side of the gun to form a supporting triangle for a steady hold.
In rifle shooting at least, everything is based on supporting triangles of both arms.
The right arm horizontal to the side of the gun, the left directly under the gun.

With the right arm out to the side, the shells don't hit your arm or hand.
This is a matter of how an individual holds a gun, but I don't understand putting your arm under the gun.

If a deflector is desired, smaller is better.
What you'd want is as small a device as possible that will allow unobstructed access to the loading area, but will still deflect the ejected shells.
It also needs to be as unobtrusive as possible, light in weight, and no bigger then absolutely necessary.

I'd think you could make your own from Kydex sheet and a heat gun.
I'd start out with something like the last one shown above by Primary Machine, then start cutting it down and shaping it until nothing is left except only what will do the job.
Most of the pictured deflectors appear to be much bigger then really needed.
Possibly all that is really necessary is a very narrow strip below the rear area of the receiver that will deflect the shell just enough.

It would probably be easiest to mount using the trigger group pins, but it would be necessary to insure that bumping the deflector won't pull the pins out.
Screws would work but that makes disassembly of the gun require tools.
Possibly something like the KNS pins used to mount a sling would work.

Once you have a good design, make a nicer looking version for actual use.
Again, smaller and simpler is better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This video has slow-motion views from underneath the gun during ejection - both with and without a deflector (action view starts at 2:40 mark). It may help with understanding what goes on when the shells eject. They bounce off the back of the opening and can go a bit left or a bit right. The shell can go a bit sideways. It's a bit chaotic. Because of the bullpup design your wrist is fairly close no matter the position of your elbow.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I bet most people can hold a firearm longer with the arm underneath the weapon versus sticking out like a chicken wing. I hold triangulated underneath. So far I really haven't had anymore trouble with spent shells than any other firearm.
I agree it should only be as large as necessary.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I bet most people can hold a firearm longer with the arm underneath the weapon versus sticking out like a chicken wing. I hold triangulated underneath. So far I really haven't had anymore trouble with spent shells than any other firearm.
I agree it should only be as large as necessary.
What else came out at 3:45:eek:?
I agree, 'chicken-winging' when shooting a precision rifle is a serious no-no
Font
However, it doesn't make a dime's worth of difference with the KSG.
I'm able to retrieve a bad habit when shooting the KSG. Haven't been bitten by it yet.
I HAVE seen others that have been, and I understand their pain
Yellow Text Line Font
. If the KSG is just for pleasure, range, and shooting skeet (sporting-clays to others
Line Electric blue Circle
), definitely get a guard.
I personally would worry much more about fumbling shells in the dark, in a panic situation, trying to get them past "the wall". But that's just my
Font
:).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This video has slow-motion views from underneath the gun during ejection - both with and without a deflector (action view starts at 2:40 mark). It may help with understanding what goes on when the shells eject. They bounce off the back of the opening and can go a bit left or a bit right. The shell can go a bit sideways. It's a bit chaotic. Because of the bullpup design your wrist is fairly close no matter the position of your elbow.

Thanks. Yes I like Hank Strange. He's the reason I became fond of the K.S.G. . Thanks for this Video I missed. :ty:

·
Registered
313 Posts
High elbow will expose more of your body than is necessary...especially from cover...OK for range use, perhaps, however if one fights like they train, well...
they try to train swat tactics to everyone to square up your plates for breaching..
the real world however has far too much randomness.. but in theory chicken wings get clipped.. when things shoot back.. you do what ever happens until you get hit.

Reactions: jimboksg
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.