Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Could use some advice/sea stories.

I know, I know, chicken wing it or man up. Problem: chicken winging makes it a little harder for me to support the gun and I'm not manly.

With no deflector they go to my right wrist or chest, sometimes one goes left. (I shoot right-handed.)

Primary Machine:
https://primarymachine.com/kel-tec-ksg-shell-deflector/
https://gunstreamer.com/v/lz71Bd
- 4/5 star reviews
- "Somewhat unwieldy... plate will catch your wrist as you maneuver... lack of injury worth the moment (movement) needed to bring the weapon to ones shoulder and avoid the plate... muscle memory will eliminate the initial awkwardness."
- "Sometime the casing hit you in the chest its not painful at all and its not chewing my wrist up."

MCARBO:
- 4/5 star reviews
- "Does make loading shells a little trickier but not impossible... rather have a little maneuvering... than... beat up arm" (Note - MCARBO says Gen 2 is supposed to make loading easier)
- "One weird thing is that for 1 round of shooting the shells were deflected to my left arm"

·
Registered
219 Posts
All of these will interfere with loading to a greater or lesser effect, but they DO interfere.

I found that the best option is to just re-train yourself to put your elbow slightly out to the side, not a full "chicken elbow" rifleman's hold.
Personally I learned to shot with rifles so my elbow is always out.

My opinion is that this is the better option.... just modify how you shoot rather then make modifications to the gun that restrict operations.
You don't have to really stick your elbow out that far to avoid getting hit by ejected shells.

If you insist on modifying the gun you need to do a LOT of practice to commit the loading process to muscle memory and avoid fumbling under stress.
That takes MANY repetitions for your muscles to "remember".

Of the two choices you linked, the MCarbo looks to be the best.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. This will likely be a gun I use for fun, venomous snakes and limited defensive situations. If 14+1 is expended and I get additional unexpected "company" I'd probably fall back on my AR or M17, or even my 870. Maybe I'll try loading the KSG with one of these deflectors installed - I'm left handed, so that might help with loading. I only shoot right-handed because it feels "right" and because I'm right eye dominant.

I'd really need to practice elevating my elbow. I guess I've developed a bad habit with the rifles I use most, my 10/22's. I've gotten accustomed and consistent with my arm tucked in. It helps my 63-year-old owie neck too. Gawd, I write that and think "63!?!"

·
Registered
56 Posts
Susie Q, I was looking at one of your other post and I seen a picture with something attached on what looked like the muzzle end of the bottom rail that wraps around the forend and looks like it has slots for M-lok rails. What is that? I’ll try to find the picture and post it here if you’re unsure of what I’m trying to describe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Susie Q, I was looking at one of your other post and I seen a picture with something attached on what looked like the muzzle end of the bottom rail that wraps around the forend and looks like it has slots for M-lok rails. What is that? I’ll try to find the picture and post it here if you’re unsure of what I’m trying to describe.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's this, it's a Midwest Industries KSG M-Lok Mount with Hand Stop, part number MI-KSG-MM.

Note that it's not compatible with a Hi-Tech KSG Lower Billet Picatinny Rail. The MI part can still be mounted but the Hi-Tech rail covers and is therefore lower than the stock plastic rail, which moves the MI M-LOK slot closer to the widest area of the KSG forend, preventing installation of Magpul t-nuts. It works ok without the Hi-Tech rail. I took the Hi-Tech rail off anyway because I have confidence that the Magpul RVG won't break the stock lower rail.

I took the MI part off because it accentuated the wiggle of the forend and I prefer my current set-up instead. The only thing I miss is the big handstop, but I put a Kriss handstop on and plan to extend the muzzle with a choke adapter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually I like what that Primary Machine shell deflector does for squaring off the back of the receiver. It aesthetically looks right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The PM deflector works well too. Shells are dinging it up instead of my arm. They do occasionally hit my chest, but don't hurt or injure skin - I think the initial bounce off the deflector saps energy from the shell. It's not appreciably harder to load shells - besides, if 14+1 isn't enough or there's no time to reload in a defensive situation, I'd go to a 21-round sidearm with back-up mags. That would be a pretty darn unusual situation. The only thing I don't like about a deflector is that I have to adjust how I pick up the gun so the deflector doesn't bite into my wrist, a trade I'm willing to make.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts